1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Senior Thesis Topic in Neurophysics

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1
    Can anyone suggest any interesting problems relating a neuron model with nonlinear phenomena (or nonlinearity of the neurons itself)? And also which spiking neuron model is computationally simple yet able to produce firing patterns close to a real biological neuron?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2
    That's great... It sounds like your last nerve... Nonlinear though? Defining the term is obviously going to present a starting line, or, what do you mean by nonlinear. Are you referring to cause and effect? Meaning it should do A but it does B, C & D; or are you interested in mapping?

I don't mean to be a pest, I just thought that deciding on the order of magnitude regarding the term nonlinear might yield some direction or possibly an idea.

I am having trouble with the word dimension; lately. It seems that currently, in scientific fields, one is only allowed to refer to a variable/constant in a mathematical equation as a dimension; and that rules space, not the axes of course, but space itself, out as a dimension. Not the undefined or time though as they are used regularly in this manner but as dimensions the order of magnitude seems??? narrow. Any suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook