Sensors and transducers, transmission, signal conditioning

In summary: Yes, it looks like you are on the right track for Q2. Just remember to include units in your final answer. Good job summarizing the content!
Keeeen

Homework Statement

Q1. A hydraulic jack has a load piston diameter of 150 mm, and a plunger diameter of 25 mm
a) Ignoring loses, calculate the force needed on the plunger to raise a load of 2500 kg
b) Calculate how many stroke of the plunger will be required to raise the load 180 mm, if each stroke of the plunger is 100 mm long.

Q2. An instrumentation measuring system uses a differential amplifier have a CMRR of 120 dB and a differential gain of ##10^5##. The maximum differential input signal is ##60\mu V##. If the amplified noise voltage is specified to be not more than 1% of the maximum output voltage, calculate the maximum common mode voltage that can be present in the input to the amplifier.

Homework Equations

##A = \frac {\pi D} {4}##
##Effort = Load (\frac {D2}{D1})^2##
##number of strokes = \frac {A1 * Distance}{A2 * Length}##
##CMRR = 20Log10 \frac {Adiff}{Acm}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
6a. ##Area of D1 = \frac {\pi * 0.15}{4}##
##A1 = 0.018m^2##

##Area of D2 = \frac {\pi * 0.025}{4}##
##A2 = 0.00049m^2##

##Effort = 2500 (\frac {0.025}{0.15})^2##
##= 69.4N##

6b. ##Strokes = \frac {0.018*0.18}{0.00049*0.1}##
##=66.12##
##=66 strokes##

How's this looking?

As for Q2 I'm a bit uncertain and would just like a bit of guidance of where i can get started or someone to point me in the right direction where i can find the information to answer the question.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Q2 I've gotten this far.

##120 = 20log10 \frac{10^5}{Acm}##
##6 = log10 \frac {10^5}{Acm}##
##1*10^6 = \frac {10^5}{Acm}##
## Acm = \frac {10^5}{1*10^6}##
##Acm = 0.1##

Usually best to limit each post to just one question, especially if they are very different.

For Q1
A).Check the units of the load. Is it kg or Newton's?
B). I made it 65 strokes.

CWatters said:
Usually best to limit each post to just one question, especially if they are very different.

For Q1
A).Check the units of the load. Is it kg or Newton's?
B). I made it 65 strokes.

Ah Kg.
How did you get 65 strokes?

Keeeen said:
How did you get 65 strokes?

Volume of load stroke/Volume of plunger stroke

= {Stroke of Load * Area of Load piston} / {Stroke of plunger * Area of plunger}

= {180*π*(150/2)2} / {100*π*(25/2)2}

π and 22 cancels

= {180*1502} / {100*252}

= 4,050,000 / 62,500

= 64.8 strokes

CWatters said:
Volume of load stroke/Volume of plunger stroke

= {Stroke of Load * Area of Load piston} / {Stroke of plunger * Area of plunger}

= {180*π*(150/2)2} / {100*π*(25/2)2}

π and 22 cancels

= {180*1502} / {100*252}

= 4,050,000 / 62,500

= 64.8 strokes

Right ok i see where I've gone wrong now. thanks. how about Q2 does it look like I'm on the right lines?

1. What is the difference between a sensor and a transducer?

A sensor is a device that detects and measures physical or chemical properties, such as temperature, pressure, or humidity. A transducer, on the other hand, converts one form of energy into another form, such as converting a physical signal into an electrical signal. Essentially, a sensor is a type of transducer, but not all transducers are sensors.

2. How does transmission affect the accuracy of sensor readings?

The method of transmission can have a significant impact on the accuracy of sensor readings. Wired transmission tends to be more accurate, as there is less chance of interference or signal loss. Wireless transmission may introduce noise or errors, leading to less accurate readings. Additionally, the distance between the sensor and the receiver can affect the accuracy of the transmission.

3. What is signal conditioning and why is it important?

Signal conditioning is the process of manipulating an electrical signal to ensure it is suitable for processing, storage, or display. This can include amplifying, filtering, or converting the signal. It is important because sensor signals can be weak or noisy, and signal conditioning helps to improve the accuracy and reliability of the data collected from sensors.

4. What are some common methods of signal transmission used in sensors and transducers?

Some common methods of signal transmission include wired transmission, such as analog and digital communication through cables, and wireless transmission, such as radio frequency, infrared, or Bluetooth. The type of transmission used will depend on factors such as the distance between the sensor and the receiver, the required data transfer rate, and the level of accuracy needed.

5. How can sensor and transducer technology benefit different industries?

Sensor and transducer technology has a wide range of applications in various industries. In healthcare, it can be used for monitoring vital signs and diagnosing medical conditions. In manufacturing, sensors can be used for quality control and process optimization. In agriculture, sensors can aid in precision farming techniques. In transportation, sensors can improve safety and efficiency. Overall, sensor and transducer technology can improve productivity, accuracy, and safety in many industries.