1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable differential equation

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (x + 2y) dy/dx = 1, y(0) = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Problem is, I can't separate it. This might be a homogenous type? If so, how would I make it into the g(y/x) form.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Start with u = y/x, or equivalently, y = ux. From this, find dy/dx.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Okay, so since you said y = ux, I am thinking that this is a homogenous equation...

However, if it is a homogeneous equation, before we can plug in y = ux, aren't we suppose to first have the equation in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where there exists a function such that f(x,y) is expressed g(y/x).

Then, AFTEr we can do the y=ux thing. correct me if Im wrong.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4
    Well, that is because it isn't a separateable equation... It isn't even an ODE. Sure it's right?

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    Yeah, copied exactly from textbook.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Mark44

You can write the equation as dy/dx = 1/(x + 2y), where the right side is a function of x and y. I'm just offering a suggested approach based on your first post. It may or may not work.

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7
    Yeah, it is a function of x and y, but I don't think it's in the g(y/x) form.

9. Oct 21, 2009 #8
    To me it seems that you are suggesting a linear trial solution?

10. Oct 21, 2009 #9

Mark44

The OP said he wanted to put this into g(y/x) form, so that made me think of the substitution I suggested. I don't have access to my DE textbooks right now, so I don't have any more ideas on solving this one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook