Separable Differential Equation

In summary: Note that ##\sin(y) + 1 = 0## has no real solutions, since ##\sin(y) \in (-1, 1)## for all real y.)So the correct version is$$\ln(\sin(y) + 1) = -\ln(e^x + 1) + C$$Oh, yea I figured the absolute values were not necessary. But, I guess my mistake was the absolute value on the right side. Thanks for the help!In summary, the differential equation (ex+1)cosy dy + ex(siny +1)dx=0 with initial condition y(0)=3 is solved by using u substitution and then exponentiating
Dusty912

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation:
(ex+1)cosy dy + ex(siny +1)dx=0 y(0)=3

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

(ex+1)cosy dy + ex(siny +1)dx=0
(ex+1)cosy dy =- ex(siny +1)dx
cosy/(siny+1)dy=-ex/(ex+1)dx
∫cosy/(siny+1)dy=-∫ex/(ex+1)dx
using u sub on both the left and right for u=siny+1 on left and u=(ex+1) on right yeilds
∫1/u du=-∫ 1/u du
ln|siny +1|= -ln|ex+1| +c
exponentiating both sides ( this is where I think I messed up)
siny +1= -x-1 +c

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation:
(ex+1)cosy dy + ex(siny +1)dx=0 y(0)=3

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

(ex+1)cosy dy + ex(siny +1)dx=0
(ex+1)cosy dy =- ex(siny +1)dx
cosy/(siny+1)dy=-ex/(ex+1)dx
∫cosy/(siny+1)dy=-∫ex/(ex+1)dx
using u sub on both the left and right for u=siny+1 on left and u=(ex+1) on right yeilds
∫1/u du=-∫ 1/u du
exponentiating both sides ( this is where I think I messed up)
siny +1= -x-1 +c
Yes, it's messed up.
Use the ideas that a * ln(b) = ln(ba) and that exp(m + n) = exp(m) * exp(n)

So all of my work is fine up until the last step?

I don't see anything wrong, but you shouldn't use u for both of your substitutions -- maybe v or w for the other one.

yea, I figured that was bad notation. Anyways, for the next step, is the left side of the equation is right? sin(y) +1

as far as the right side and applying the rules you gave me. The right side would look something like this before the exponentiating:

-(x+1)ln|e| +c

You have a mistake that I didn't notice before.
Dusty912 said:
On the right side it should be ##-\ln(e^x + 1) + C##. You had ##-\ln|e^{x + 1}| + C##.
Also note that I didn't use absolute values, since ##e^x > 0## for all real x, so ##e^x + 1 > 1 > 0## for all real x.

You don't need absolute values on the left side, either, since ##\sin(y) + 1 \ge 0## for all real y.

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and the independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating both sides separately.

2. How do I solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, first separate the variables on opposite sides of the equation. Then, integrate both sides separately. This will give you a general solution. To find the particular solution, plug in the initial conditions given in the problem.

3. What is the benefit of using a separable differential equation?

The benefit of using a separable differential equation is that it can be solved analytically, meaning the solution is expressed in terms of simple functions rather than a numerical approximation. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the system being modeled.

4. What are some real-life applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to model various systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and circuit analysis. They are also used in economics and finance to model growth and decay of investments.

5. Are there any limitations to using separable differential equations?

There are some limitations to using separable differential equations. They can only be used for first-order differential equations, and they cannot always be solved for all initial conditions. In some cases, numerical methods may be needed to obtain a solution. Additionally, they may not accurately model complex systems with multiple variables and factors.