1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separating e^(xi) to form a-bi

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am in dif eq, but just need to know how to separate a power.

separate e^(xi) into the form a-bi, where x is a constant (in my homework, x is 4pi/3, but that's not too relevant)

i is the imaginary number sqrt(-1)

2. Relevant equations

I don't know if there is some simple rule, or if I actually need to use calculus and integrals.
    The only thing I know is that e^(x+y) = e^(x)e^(y). However, I can't use that here, because the power is the multiple.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried setting it equal to y = e^(xi) and taking the natural log of both sides, but it just got really messy and I ended up with a square root of i, which is not good.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you looking for the Euler identity?
    $$e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)$$

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Are you familiar with Taylor series? As jbunniii mentioned, it is the Euler formula, but the easiest way to derive it is by using the Taylor series expansion of e^x, with x = ix, and then separate the real and imaginary terms into two series which are known to be the Taylor series for cosine and sine, respectively.

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4
    ok, that makes sense, the prof did the taylor series in class......thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook