1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing complex numbers in the x + iy form

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ((1-i)/(sqrt2))^42
    express in x+iy form

2. Relevant equations
    z1/z1=(r1/r2)e^(i(theta1-theta2))

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive found that (1-i) has r=sqrt2 so since r is sqrt2 and x=1 y=-1 so the angle is 7pi/4
    so then I have (sqrt2e^(-i7pi/4)/sqrt2)^42
    now from here is where I dont understand where to go to obtain x+iy form since it is raised to the 42 power and I dont have a e on the bottom

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Don't change the result back to a + bi form until you have finished raising it to the 42 power. Use the formula for [itex] (r e^{i \theta})^n = ... [/itex].

4. Jan 29, 2015 #3
    that formula isnt in my book

5. Jan 29, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It works just like the formula for [itex] (ab^k)^n = ...[/itex] works for real numbers [itex] a,b,k, [/itex] and integer [itex] n [/itex].

6. Jan 29, 2015 #5
    so then ((sqrt2)e^(-i7pi/4))/sqrt2)^42
    = 1/e^147ipi/2 ?? doesnt seem like thats correct

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You didn't make a correct application of [itex] (ab^k)^n = a^n b^{kn} [/itex] For one thing, you didn't raise [itex] a = \sqrt{2} [/itex] to a power.

8. Jan 29, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

9. Jan 30, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe it doesn't seem correct to you, but you really did it right according to me !

(I was wondering why you didn't let the factors sqrt(2) cancel straightaway. Matter of obfuscating notation ?)
    $${1-i\over \sqrt 2} = e^{{7\over 4}\pi}$$
    Draw a unit circle, consider the x axis the real axis and the y axis the imaginary axis, and mark your ## {1-i\over \sqrt 2}##

You should see the ##{7\over 4}\pi## (with a plus sign ! *) , the de Moivre thing, and lots more goodies. Play with squaring the number, etc.

*) check where ##e^{-{7\over 4}\pi}## is located on that unit circle !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted