Write i^(2i) in the form a + bi?

In summary: How can you write √2 as a power of e?I think I found it:(-1 + i)(1 - i) = (√2)(1 - i) ⋅ e(i ⋅ 3π/4 + 3π/4)= (√2)(1 - i) ⋅ e(i ⋅ 3π/4) ⋅ e(3π/4)= (√2)(1 - i) ⋅ e(i ⋅ 3π/4) ⋅ e(3π/4)= (√2)(1 - i) ⋅ ei ⋅ e(3π/4) ⋅ e
JulienB

Homework Statement

Write the expression i2i in the form a + bi

Homework Equations

Honestly we haven't treated such subjects during the classes, but I've made some researches and found the Euler identity might help me.

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the Euler identity, I found that i = ei.(π/2), so i2i = e (I skip a few steps). Now this looks great! But it is not in the form a + bi, as the problem requires. Any idea?Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

PS: Next question is the same for (-1 + i)(1-i) :DDJ.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Write the expression i2i in the form a + bi

Homework Equations

Honestly we haven't treated such subjects during the classes, but I've made some researches and found the Euler identity might help me.

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the Euler identity, I found that i = ei.(π/2), so i2i = e (I skip a few steps). Now this looks great! But it is not in the form a + bi, as the problem requires. Any idea?Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

PS: Next question is the same for (-1 + i)(1-i) :DDJ.
##e^{-\pi}## is a real number, so you could write it as ##e^{-\pi} + 0i##

For the other question, start by writing -1 + i in polar form; i.e., as ##r(\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta))##

Ahaaa that didn't occur to me. Thank you very much for your help!

For (-1 + i)(1 - i), I did that:

(-1 + i)(1 - i) = (-1)(1 - i) + (ei(π/2))(1 - i)
= -1 + e(1 - i)⋅i⋅(π/2)
= -1 + ei - i2⋅(π/2)
= -1 + ei + π/2

Now I am failing again at bringing the i down.

[itex]e^{a+ b}= e^ae^b[/itex] and [itex]e^{i}= cos(1)+ i sin(1)[/itex].

JulienB said:

What allows you to "distribute" the exponent this way?

JulienB said:

For -1 + i, which is in rectangular or Cartesian form, what is r? What is the angle ##\theta##?
JulienB said:
##(a + b)^m \ne a^m + b^m##
JulienB said:
= -1 + e(1 - i)⋅i⋅(π/2)
= -1 + ei - i2⋅(π/2)
= -1 + ei + π/2

Now I am failing again at bringing the i down.
[/quote]

Mark44 said:
For -1 + i, which is in rectangular or Cartesian form, what is r? What is the angle θ\theta?

I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless about your questions. I wonder why our teacher is giving us such homework before we even mentioned complex numbers, that is just frustrating...

But I guess the angle with the horizontal axis is 135° (-1 is the real axis, and +1 is the imaginary axis right?) and r...well, maybe √((-1)2 + 12)?Thank you for your help in any case, I appreciate it.

JulienB said:
I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless about your questions. I wonder why our teacher is giving us such homework before we even mentioned complex numbers, that is just frustrating...

But I guess the angle with the horizontal axis is 135°
Or in radians, ##3\pi/4##.
JulienB said:
(-1 is the real axis, and +1 is the imaginary axis right?)
No, the real axis is the horizontal axis, and the imaginary axis is the vertical axis. Or maybe you meant that -1 is on the real axis (to the left of the origin), and +1i is on the imaginary axis (above the origin).
JulienB said:
and r...well, maybe √((-1)2 + 12)?
Yes. So -1 + i = ##\sqrt{2}(\cos 3\pi/4 + i \sin 3\pi/4) = \sqrt{2}e^{i3\pi/4}##
JulienB said:
Thank you for your help in any case, I appreciate it.

Thank you for your answer. I did not know (or remember from school, it's been a while) about such properties of e actually. I attempted to follow your indications, but I got stuck again with the power:

(-1 + i)(1 - i) = [√2(cos 3π/4 + i sin 3π/4)](1 - i)
= (√2 ei 3π/4)(1 - i)

I randomly feel like there might be a supplementary step with √2 ei 3π/4 to introduce i, but I can't find anything on internet or in my books. I'm sorry to not have been able to solve the problem on my own yet, I keep on trying though :DDJ.

Is there a way to write √2 with an imaginary number for example?

JulienB said:
Is there a way to write √2 with an imaginary number for example?
You don't want to do that. In your first problem, i2i, what did you do to the first 'i' in order to make progress? Can you do something similar to the √2?

I still can't figure out, I've been trying all week!

haruspex said:
In your first problem, i2i, what did you do to the first 'i' in order to make progress? Can you do something similar to the √2?

Well I expressed i in terms of e, and that luckily dissolved the i that was stuck inside the power. I tried to "isolate" √2, but no matter what I do there is a i remaining up there. That's where I'm stuck so far:

(-1 + i)(1 - i) = (√2)(1 - i)e(i ⋅ 3π/4 + 3π/4)

JulienB said:
Well I expressed i in terms of e, and that luckily dissolved the i that was stuck inside the power. I tried to "isolate" √2, but no matter what I do there is a i remaining up there. That's where I'm stuck so far:

How can you write √2 as a power of e?

JulienB said:

This doesn't work. ##(-1 + i) \ne \sqrt{2}##
Use my hint of earlier this week
For the other question, start by writing -1 + i in polar form; i.e., as ##r(\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta))##
You have found r, which is ##\sqrt{2}## and you found the angle, ##\theta##, which is ##3\pi/4##.

Euler's formula says that ##(\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)) = e^{i\theta}##, from which we can derive ##r(\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta)) = re^{i\theta}##.

Related to Write i^(2i) in the form a + bi?

1. What is the meaning of "i" in the expression i^(2i)?

The symbol "i" represents the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1 in mathematics.

2. How do you calculate i^(2i)?

To calculate i^(2i), we can use the formula e^(iπ) = -1. We can rewrite the expression as i^(2i) = (e^(iπ))^2i = e^(i(2πi)) = e^(-2π) = 1.

3. What is the significance of writing i^(2i) in the form a + bi?

Writing i^(2i) in the form a + bi allows us to express the solution in terms of real numbers and imaginary numbers, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

4. Is i^(2i) a real or complex number?

i^(2i) is a real number, as it can be simplified to 1, which is a real number.

5. Can i^(2i) be written in any other forms?

Yes, i^(2i) can also be written as cos(2π) + i(sin(2π)) or e^(-2π) + 0i, as they are equivalent forms of the complex number 1.