Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separating Variables in Integration

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    Wondering whether somebody could help me with a quick integral??
    dp/dt = ap(1-(p^2/q^2))

initial condition p(0) = 0

I have tried separating the variables, and then taking the partial fractions where needed, however my answer does not simplify nicely and it gets into some really complicated logarithms, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong?? Or if somebody could show me a different way of solving this equation. Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

If p(0) = 0 for the differential equation you have given, dp/dt also equals zero at t=0. if both p and p' are 0 at t=0, then the only solution is that p=0 for all times.

4. Feb 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry I just re-checked the question and the initial condition is p(0) = q/3, I'm really sorry about that :)

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well in that case it is pretty straightforward. Write:
    [tex]\frac{dp}{p(1-p^2/q^2)} = a dt[/tex] Now integrate both sides:
    [tex]\int\frac{dp}{p(1-p^2/q^2)} = at +C[/tex]

The integral on the left side can be done by partial fractions and will give logs, as you said. Group the logs into a single log and then exponentiate both sides, and you will get a function of p on the left side = C exp(at). Use the initial condition to determine C, solve for p, and you're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook