Separation of Variables in 2 Dimensions: A Laplace Equation Primer

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
bmrick
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
So I'm currently taking electricity and magnetism and I'm expected to know how to perform a separation of variables on laplace equation in 2 dimensions.I have taken Zero differential equations courses and I literally have no freaking idea what's going on. The book I use doesn't spend any time explaining the basics of separation of variables. Is there a fast track way of understanding this special case or am I going to have to cram half a semester of diff eq for this to make any sense?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the prerequisites for the course include differential equations, or some other course like math methods that would include some differential equations? If not, then I think you should raise this issue with the instructor (politely, of course).
 
It does require a modeling class. I don't remember doing this in class but it was all so hand wavy I didn't pay too close attention. I'll check my book. Thanks for the insight