Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods

happyparticle
Homework Statement
Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods in contact.
##x = 0 , T= T_1##
##x = L, T=T_2##
For the first rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_1##
The second rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_2##
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}##
Knowing that we are in equilibrium ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = 0##.

We now have a Laplace's equation ##\kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} = 0##

I separated the rod in 2 halves.

The solution of this equation is ##\kappa_1 \frac{\partial2 T}{\partial x2} = C_1##

Integrating both side we get ##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + C_2##

The first boundary condition: ##x = 0 , T = T_1##

We now have
##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + \kappa_1 T_1##

I'm stuck here. I can't find what is the second condition and I have the same problem with the second half of the rod.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm really stuck.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Homework Statement: Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods in contact.
##x = 0 , T= T_1##
##x = L, T=T_2##
For the first rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_1##
The second rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_2##
Relevant Equations: ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}##

Knowing that we are in equilibrium ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = 0##.

We now have a Laplace's equation ##\kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} = 0##

I separated the rod in 2 halves.

The solution of this equation is ##\kappa_1 \frac{\partial2 T}{\partial x2} = C_1##

Integrating both side we get ##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + C_2##

The first boundary condition: ##x = 0 , T = T_1##

We now have
##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + \kappa_1 T_1##

I'm stuck here. I can't find what is the second condition and I have the same problem with the second half of the rod.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm really stuck.

Thank you
How about showing a diagram that has the end conditions. Is the ##x = 0## at the meeting point, or one of the ends, or what?

What are the lengths of the two rods? Are their diameters the same?

erobz said:
How about showing a diagram that has the end conditions. Is the ##x = 0## at the meeting point, or one of the ends, or what?
##x = 0 , T = T_1## is one of the ends. I don't have any diagram.

Chestermiller said:
What are the lengths of the two rods? Are their diameters the same?
Their diameters are the same and the length of each rod is L/2.

happyparticle said:
##x = 0 , T = T_1## is one of the ends. I don't have any diagram.Their diameters are the same and the length of each rod is L/2.
$$Q=k_{left}A\frac{(T_1-T_m)}{L/2}=k_{right}A\frac{(T_m-T_2)}{L/2}$$where Q is the total rate of heat flow along the rod, A is the cross sectional area, and ##T_m## is the temperature at the junction between the two materials.

Just to be sure, does it means that the total rate of heat flow just before the junction on the right is equal to the total rate of heat flow just after the second rod. I try to figure out what that equation means. If so, is it always the case?

Secondly, Does it means that my constant ##C_1 = Q ## ?

Thank you

happyparticle said:
Just to be sure, does it means that the total rate of heat flow just before the junction on the right is equal to the total rate of heat flow just after the second rod. I try to figure out what that equation means. If so, is it always the case?
Sure. The heat has nowhere else to go.
happyparticle said:
Secondly, Does it means that my constant ##C_1 = Q ## ?

Thank you
Here, Q is a constant.

Likes happyparticle
Thank you!

1. How do you determine the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods?

To determine the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods, you need to analyze the forces acting on the system. This involves considering the temperature distribution along the rods, as well as the thermal conductivity and boundary conditions of the system. By solving the heat equation and applying the appropriate boundary conditions, you can find the equilibrium temperature profile T(x) between the two rods.

2. What factors influence the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods?

The factors that influence the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods include the thermal conductivity of the rods, the temperature distribution along the rods, the boundary conditions of the system, and any heat sources or sinks present in the system. These factors all play a role in determining the temperature distribution and equilibrium profile T(x) between the two rods.

3. Can the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods be determined analytically?

In some cases, the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods can be determined analytically by solving the heat equation with the appropriate boundary conditions. However, in more complex systems or with non-linear temperature distributions, numerical methods may be required to find the equilibrium profile T(x) between the two rods.

4. How can the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods be visualized?

The equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods can be visualized using temperature contour plots or temperature profiles along the length of the rods. These visualizations can help to understand how the temperature distribution varies along the rods and how the equilibrium profile T(x) is affected by different factors in the system.

5. What are the practical applications of finding the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods?

Finding the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods is important in various engineering applications, such as heat transfer in materials processing, thermal management in electronics, and temperature control in HVAC systems. By understanding the temperature distribution and equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods, engineers can optimize the design and performance of these systems.