Seperation of Variables/Integrating Factor Method

• Thread starter _N3WTON_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the first order linear equation of the form \frac{dy}{dx} + ay = b, where a and b are constants, can be solved using both the integrating factor method and separation of variables. However, when solving the equation using separation of variables, there was a mistake in the calculation of \frac{dy}{y}, resulting in an incorrect solution.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

The first order linear equation of the form:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} + ay = b [/itex]
where a and b are constants, can be solved both by the integrating factor method and by separation of variables. Solve the equation using both methods to see that you get the same solution.

Homework Equations

Separation of variables and Integrating factor equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am 80% sure that I have correctly found the solution using both methods; however, I am having trouble equating the two solutions. This is what I have done so far, first I will show using the integrating factor method, followed by separation of variables:
[itex] p(x) = a [/itex]
[itex] u(x) = e^{ax} [/itex]
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}(e^{ax} y(x)) = be^{ax} [/itex]
[itex] \int\frac{d}{dx}(e^{ax} y(x))\,dx = \int be^{ax}\, dx [/itex]
[itex] e^{ax} y(x) = abe^{ax} + C [/itex]
[itex] y(x) = ab + \frac{C}{e^ax}[/itex]
Now again using the separation of variables method:
[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = b-ay [/itex]
[itex] \frac{dy}{y} = (b-a)dx [/itex]
[itex] \int\frac{dy}{y} = \int b-a\, dx [/itex]
[itex] ln(y) = bx - ax + C [/itex]
[itex] y = e^{bx} - e^{ax} + e^C [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
(b-ay)/y =b/y -a

_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

The first order linear equation of the form:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} + ay = b [/itex]
where a and b are constants, can be solved both by the integrating factor method and by separation of variables. Solve the equation using both methods to see that you get the same solution.

Homework Equations

Separation of variables and Integrating factor equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am 80% sure that I have correctly found the solution using both methods; however, I am having trouble equating the two solutions. This is what I have done so far, first I will show using the integrating factor method, followed by separation of variables:
[itex] p(x) = a [/itex]
[itex] u(x) = e^{ax} [/itex]
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}(e^{ax} y(x)) = be^{ax} [/itex]
[itex] \int\frac{d}{dx}(e^{ax} y(x))\,dx = \int be^{ax}\, dx [/itex]
[itex] e^{ax} y(x) = abe^{ax} + C [/itex]
[itex] y(x) = ab + \frac{C}{e^ax}[/itex]
Now again using the separation of variables method:
[itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = b-ay [/itex]
[itex] \frac{dy}{y} = (b-a)dx [/itex]
[itex] \int\frac{dy}{y} = \int b-a\, dx [/itex]
[itex] ln(y) = bx - ax + C [/itex]
[itex] y = e^{bx} - e^{ax} + e^C [/itex]

Never write ##1/e^{ax}##; always write it as ##e^{-ax}##, because that way you can apply standard differentiation/integration formulas.

Your second method has an obvious blunder: from
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = b-ay [/tex]
it dos NOT follow that
[tex] \frac{dy}{y} = (b-a)dx \: \longleftarrow \:\text{false}[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
Never write ##1/e^{ax}##; always write it as ##e^{-ax}##, because that way you can apply standard differentiation/integration formulas.

Your second method has an obvious blunder: from
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = b-ay [/tex]
it dos NOT follow that
[tex] \frac{dy}{y} = (b-a)dx \: \longleftarrow \:\text{false}[/tex]
im a little confused about what is wrong with the separation I performed?
Edit: Nvm I see it now, thank you

Last edited:

1. What is the Separation of Variables method and how does it work?

The Separation of Variables method is a technique used in solving differential equations. It involves separating the variables (typically the dependent and independent variables) and finding a solution by integrating each part separately. This method works because it transforms a complicated differential equation into two simpler equations that can be solved individually.

2. What is the Integrating Factor method and when is it used?

The Integrating Factor method is another technique used in solving differential equations. It involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a suitable function, known as the integrating factor, which helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This method is typically used when the differential equation is not in an easily solvable form, such as when it is not separable or when it is a linear equation.

3. How do you determine the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

The integrating factor, denoted by the symbol μ, can be determined by finding the coefficient of the highest derivative in the differential equation and then taking the exponential of the integral of that coefficient. In other words, μ = e∫P(x)dx, where P(x) is the coefficient of the highest derivative.

4. Can the Separation of Variables and Integrating Factor methods be used together?

Yes, these two methods can be used together in some cases. For example, if a differential equation is both linear and separable, the Integrating Factor method can be used to simplify the equation and then the Separation of Variables method can be used to find a solution. However, not all differential equations can be solved using both methods simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Separation of Variables and Integrating Factor methods?

Both methods have their limitations and are not applicable to all types of differential equations. The Separation of Variables method can only be used for equations that are separable, and the Integrating Factor method is only applicable to linear equations. Additionally, both methods may not work for more complex or non-homogeneous differential equations.