Sequence Diagram For a Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of two diagrams in a book related to zero sequence diagrams for a transformer. The speaker has identified errors in the diagrams and suggests a correction for each one. The other person confirms the errors and suggests using a short circuit test to determine the correct connections for the switches. They also mention a formula for determining the connections based on the presence of ground in the star or delta configuration.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

I think two diagrams are wrong here. I've marked in red.[/B]
upload_2018-1-28_19-33-30.png

Homework Equations

Do you also think the 2 diagrams are wrong? I think for 1st red circle, at delta-- the a1 switch should be open
whereas for second red circle at star grounded-- the a1 switch should be closed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this in book and am not sure if book is right or wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-28_19-33-30.png
    upload_2018-1-28_19-33-30.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,772
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, this should be titled as zero sequence diagrams for a transformer.

You are correct for diagrams #5 and #6. One way to determine this is to examine what you get when you perform a short circuit test with zero sequence voltage applied.

Likes jaus tail
magoo said:
One way to determine this is to examine what you get when you perform a short circuit test with zero sequence voltage applied.

I don't know this method. I just remembered the formula. If there is ground in star the connect series switch. If there is delta then connect shunt switch.

1. What is a sequence diagram for a transformer?

A sequence diagram for a transformer is a visual representation of the steps and interactions involved in the transformation of electrical energy from one circuit to another. It shows the order of events and the flow of information between different components of the transformer.

2. Why is a sequence diagram important for understanding how a transformer works?

A sequence diagram is important because it provides a clear and concise overview of the processes involved in the transformation of electrical energy. It helps to identify potential issues, troubleshoot problems, and improve the design and performance of the transformer.

3. What are the main components of a sequence diagram for a transformer?

The main components of a sequence diagram for a transformer include the input and output circuits, primary and secondary windings, core, and any additional components such as tap changers or cooling systems. The diagram also includes arrows showing the flow of energy and annotations explaining the actions taking place.

4. How is a sequence diagram for a transformer created?

A sequence diagram for a transformer is typically created using specialized software or drawing tools. The process involves identifying the components and their interactions, determining the sequence of events, and visually representing the information in a clear and organized manner.

5. How can a sequence diagram for a transformer be used for troubleshooting?

A sequence diagram for a transformer can be used for troubleshooting by allowing engineers and technicians to identify the specific components involved in the transformation process and pinpoint potential issues. It can also help in understanding the order of events and identifying any discrepancies or errors that may be causing problems with the transformer.