Create the free-body diagram for the scenario below.

In summary, a Mercedes-Benz 300SL with a mass of 1700 kg is parked on a road with a 15 degree incline. The normal force and static frictional force exerted by the ground on the tires are being calculated. The diagram includes four vectors, including the blue vector for forces, and the red vector for an unknown force. There are two "mg" forces, representing the car's weight, and the direction of each vector is specified. An additional vector was added to correct a previous mistake.
Clare

Homework Statement

A Mercedes-Benz 300SL (m = 1700 kg) is parked on a road that rises 15 degrees above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of (a) the normal force and (b) the static frictional force that the ground exerts on the tires? Important: Assume that the road is higher up to the right and lower down to the left.
Create the free-body diagram. Please use the blue vector to specify forces.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-10-3_14-30-6.png

Right now I'm currently stuck with the vector highlighted in red. I just don't understand if it the angle that it is in or the length that is wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-3_14-30-6.png
    upload_2018-10-3_14-30-6.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 712
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram appears to have two forces that are labeled "mg" (one red and the other blue). What type of force does "mg" represent? How many such forces act on the car?

I am not able to enlarge your diagram to see things clearly. You seem to have drawn four vectors. Please list them and describe them along with statements of the direction of each.

I added an extra vector. I was mistakenly adding the mg sin and mg cos

1. What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given scenario. It shows all the external forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude.

2. Why is it important to create a free-body diagram?

Creating a free-body diagram allows us to better understand the forces acting on an object and how they may affect its motion. It also helps us identify any missing or unaccounted for forces that may be present in the scenario.

3. What are the steps for creating a free-body diagram?

The steps for creating a free-body diagram are as follows: 1) Identify the object of interest, 2) Draw a dot to represent the object, 3) Draw and label all the external forces acting on the object, 4) Choose a coordinate system and label the axes, 5) Draw and label any necessary components of the forces, and 6) Check for accuracy and completeness.

4. What type of forces should be included in a free-body diagram?

All external forces acting on the object should be included in a free-body diagram. These can include contact forces (such as friction or normal force) and non-contact forces (such as gravity or electromagnetic force).

5. Can a free-body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free-body diagram can be used for objects in motion. It is especially useful for analyzing the forces that are affecting the motion and determining the net force acting on the object.