Sequence problems - solution check

• Thread starter Government$
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: Then, since $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{1 + n(a_n)} = \frac{1}{\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} (1 + n(a_n))} = \frac{1}{1 + \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} (n(a_n))} = \frac{1}{1 + 0} = 1$$ by limit properties and the fact that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} (n(a_n)) = 0$$. Therefore, $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \infty * 1
Government$

Homework Statement

Let $$(a_n)$$ be a sequence such that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$.
1) What is
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{n}} + (a_n))^n$$
2) For which value of p and l, after some n is $$(b_n)=\frac{n^{p \ cos(n\pi)}}{(1 + l + (a_n))^n}$$ properly defined. p and l are real numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$. I have that for some $$n_0$$, for every $$n>n_0$$ $$-1<n(a_n)$$ hence $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \infty$$. Therefore i have that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{n}} + (a_n))^n = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}}})^{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}(1 + n(a_n))}= e^1=e$$

2) Considering that p is not diving anything here, and that p is exponent to n it seems to me that p can have any value. Now let $$l\neq -1 \neq 0$$. Since $$ (1 + l + (a_n)) = (1 + l + \frac{n(a_n)}{n})$$ and i have that $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n(a_n)}{n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{(n+1)(a_{n+1}) - n(a_n)}{1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} ((n+1)(a_{n+1}) - n(a_n))= 0 - 0 = 0 $$ by Stolz–Cesàro theorem. This means that I have for some $$n_0$$, for every $$n>n_0$$ So have that for $$1 + l > 0$$, $$|{\frac{n(a_n)}{n}}| < 1+l $$ and for $$1 + l < 0$$ $$|{\frac{n(a_n)}{n}}| < -(1+l) $$. Therefore $$(1 + l + \frac{n(a_n)}{n}) \neq 0$$ for $$n>n_0$$ so i won't have any divison by 0. For $$l=0$$ i also get $$(1 + \frac{n(a_n)}{n}) \neq 0$$ for $$n>n_0$$ since $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n(a_n)}{n} = 0$$. For $$l=-1$$ i get $$(b_n)=\frac{n^{n}n^{p \ cos(n\pi)}}{(n(a_n))^n}$$ Since $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$ i have no division by 0.
To conclude fore every p,l from R, after some $$n_0$$ for all $$n>n_0$$ $$(b_n)$$ is properly defined.

Sorry for any typos.

Physics news on Phys.org
Government$ said:

Homework Statement

Let $$(a_n)$$ be a sequence such that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$.
1) What is
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{n}} + (a_n))^n$$
2) For which value of p and l, after some n is $$(b_n)=\frac{n^{p \ cos(n\pi)}}{(1 + l + (a_n))^n}$$ properly defined. p and l are real numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$. I have that for some $$n_0$$, for every $$n>n_0$$ $$-1<n(a_n)$$ hence $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \infty$$. Therefore i have that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{n}} + (a_n))^n = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}}})^{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}(1 + n(a_n))}= e^1=e$$

2) Considering that p is not diving anything here, and that p is exponent to n it seems to me that p can have any value. Now let $$l\neq -1 \neq 0$$. Since $$ (1 + l + (a_n)) = (1 + l + \frac{n(a_n)}{n})$$ and i have that $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n(a_n)}{n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{(n+1)(a_{n+1}) - n(a_n)}{1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} ((n+1)(a_{n+1}) - n(a_n))= 0 - 0 = 0 $$ by Stolz–Cesàro theorem. This means that I have for some $$n_0$$, for every $$n>n_0$$ So have that for $$1 + l > 0$$, $$|{\frac{n(a_n)}{n}}| < 1+l $$ and for $$1 + l < 0$$ $$|{\frac{n(a_n)}{n}}| < -(1+l) $$. Therefore $$(1 + l + \frac{n(a_n)}{n}) \neq 0$$ for $$n>n_0$$ so i won't have any divison by 0. For $$l=0$$ i also get $$(1 + \frac{n(a_n)}{n}) \neq 0$$ for $$n>n_0$$ since $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{n(a_n)}{n} = 0$$. For $$l=-1$$ i get $$(b_n)=\frac{n^{n}n^{p \ cos(n\pi)}}{(n(a_n))^n}$$ Since $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}n(a_n)=0$$ i have no division by 0.
To conclude fore every p,l from R, after some $$n_0$$ for all $$n>n_0$$ $$(b_n)$$ is properly defined.

Sorry for any typos.

Your answer for part 1) is correct, namely this portion of it:

$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{n}} + (a_n))^n = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}(1 + {\frac{1}{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}}})^{\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)}(1 + n(a_n))}= e^1=e$$

Though I'm not sure I agree entirely with the argument you used to arrive at this.

Zondrina said:
Though I'm not sure I agree entirely with the argument you used to arrive at this.

You mean the way i proved $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \infty$$H
How about this:
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} n * \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{1 + n(a_n)}=\infty*1=\infty$$. I have $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n}{1 + n(a_n)} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} n * \frac{1}{1 + n(a_n)} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} n * \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{1 + n(a_n)}$$ by limit properties.

Last edited:

1. What are sequence problems?

Sequence problems are mathematical problems that involve a series of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. These problems often require the use of logical reasoning and critical thinking to determine the next number or object in the sequence.

2. How can I solve sequence problems?

To solve a sequence problem, you can start by identifying the pattern or rule that the numbers or objects in the sequence follow. This can involve looking at the differences between numbers, the relationship between numbers, or the repeating pattern of objects. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to determine the next number or object in the sequence.

3. What is the importance of checking the solution in sequence problems?

Checking the solution in sequence problems is important because it allows you to confirm that your answer is correct. By checking your solution, you can catch any mistakes or errors that you may have made during the problem-solving process and make corrections if needed.

4. How do I check my solution in sequence problems?

To check your solution in sequence problems, you can apply the same pattern or rule that you used to determine the answer to the entire sequence. This means plugging in your solution for the missing number or object and seeing if it fits the pattern of the sequence. You can also double-check your work by using a calculator or asking someone else to solve the problem independently.

5. What are some tips for solving sequence problems efficiently?

Some tips for solving sequence problems efficiently include looking for patterns and relationships between numbers, breaking the sequence into smaller parts, and using logical reasoning to determine the next number or object. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of sequence problems to improve your problem-solving skills.