Sequences and continuous functions

In summary, the conversation discusses two parts of a homework statement, the first involving two sequences converging to certain values, and the second involving continuous functions in an interval. Part a is already completed, and the focus is on part b. The solution involves arguing by contradiction and using the definition of continuity to construct a similar argument to part a. It is suggested to define a function h and use its minimum value to prove the existence of a positive real number z satisfying the given condition.
the_kid

Homework Statement

a) Let {s[itex]_{n}[/itex]} and {t[itex]_{n}[/itex]} be two sequences converging to s and t. Suppose that s[itex]_{n}[/itex] < (1+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])t[itex]_{n}[/itex]

Show that s [itex]\leq[/itex]t.

b) Let f, g be continuous functions in the interval [a, b]. If f(x)>g(x) for all x[itex]\in[/itex][a, b], then show that there exists a positive real z>1 such that f(x)[itex]\geq[/itex]zg(x) for all x[itex]\in[/itex][a, b].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I've already done part a. I'm trying to figure out part b. I think my ideas are on the right track, but I'm looking for some help fleshing them out a bit more.

Argue by contradiction. Suppose there does not exist z such that f(x)[itex]\geq[/itex]zg(x). I'm not sure exactly what this implies in terms of deriving a contradiction; some general guidance would be appreciated it. Also, I'm using the definition that the notion that f(x) is continuous at c is equivalent to the following:

For every sequence {s[itex]_{n}[/itex]} in the domain of f converging to c, one has

lim, n-->[itex]\infty[/itex] f(s[itex]_{n}[/itex])=f(c). I somehow want to construct an analogous argument to that in part a, but I'm not sure how the z is similar to the (1+[itex]\frac{1}){n}) term. Can anyone help with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this can go easier, define h:

[tex]f(x)-g(x)=h(x) [/tex]

because f,g are continuous in [a,b], h is continuous in [a,b] but then h(x) has a minimum >0 in [a,b] call it c thus:

[tex] f \geq g+c = g \left( 1+\frac{c}{g(x)} \right) [/tex]

This holds for all x in [a,b] thus:

[tex] f \geq g+c = g \left( 1+\frac{c}{ ||g(x)||_{\infty} } \right) = zg(x)[/tex]with [tex] ||g(x)||_{\infty} =sup_{x \in [a,b]} g(x) [/tex] and [tex] z= 1+\frac{c}{ ||g(x)||_{\infty} }[/tex]Something like this should work ( I think the part with the inf term should be replaced by something else).

Last edited:

1. What is a sequence in mathematics?

A sequence in mathematics is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of a term in the sequence is called its index. Sequences can be finite, meaning they have a specific number of terms, or infinite, meaning they continue indefinitely.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

A sequence is convergent if its terms approach a single fixed number as the index increases. This means that as the index gets larger and larger, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value. A sequence is divergent if its terms do not approach a single fixed number and instead either approach infinity or alternate between two or more values.

3. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A sequence is a list of terms, while a series is the sum of those terms. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence together. For example, the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, ... can be represented as the series 1+2+3+4+..., which equals infinity.

4. How are continuous functions defined?

A continuous function is a type of function in which small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, the graph of a continuous function has no breaks, holes, or jumps. This means that as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value, the output also gets closer and closer to a specific value.

5. Can a function be continuous at a single point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a single point. This means that the function is continuous everywhere except for that one point. In order for a function to be continuous at a single point, the limit of the function as x approaches that point must exist and be equal to the value of the function at that point.