Sequences/Series Sigma Question

• Thread starter JBD2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sigma
In summary: To solve for r, you can use the quadratic equation: r^2=a^2+b^2, where b is the coefficient of the square root.
JBD2

Homework Statement

If [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{4}log_{2}x^{n}=80[/tex], determine the value of x.

Homework Equations

[tex]S_{n} = \frac{a(r^{n}-1)}{r-1}[/tex]

[tex]S_{n} = \frac{rt_{n}-a}{r-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]log_{2}1+log_{2}x^{2}+log_{2}x^{6}+log_{2}x^{12}=80[/tex]?

[tex]log_{2}x^{20} = 80[/tex]

[tex]2^{80}=x^{20}[/tex]

[tex]x=16[/tex]

Is this right? Or does x have to be + or - 16 or am I just completely wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks right, assuming that [tex]log_{2}x^{n}[/tex] means [tex]\log_{2}(x^{n})[/tex] and not [tex](\log_{2}x)^n[/tex].

Ok well I have two more questions, and rather than clutter the board with another post I'll put them here:

Question 2:

Homework Statement

A new car costs $42 000 and depreciates 20% the first year, then 15% every year after. What is the car worth in 10 years?

42 000 + 42 000(0.8) + 33600(0.85) + 33600(0.85)2...

I'm not sure if this is right so far, but I'm pretty sure I can separate the 42 000(0.8) and the 33600(0.85) right? What should I do?Question 3:

Homework Statement

In a geometric sequence, t2+t3=60 while t4+t5=1500. Find the first 3 terms.

Not really sure how to start this one, I think that t4 is equal to 60r and t5 is equal to 60r2, so can I go:

60r + 60r2=1500 and solve for r?

If I do this I end up getting [tex]\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{101}}{2}[/tex] which I'm sure can't be correct.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think your first problem is a series. I think you are making it too hard on yourself. It starts at $42,000, loses 20%, and becomes $33600 after one year. I don't think you just keep adding them up.

Chaos2009 said:
I don't think you just keep adding them up.

If you're supposed to add them up, then I want that car!:smile:

As for #3, for a geometric series, [tex]t_n = a\,r^n[/tex] for some constants a and r. So you have two equations in two unknowns.

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term and is denoted by a subscript or index.

What is a series?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. It is denoted by the uppercase Greek letter sigma (Σ) followed by the terms in the sequence. For example, Σan represents the sum of the terms a1, a2, a3, ... , an.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite sequence?

A finite sequence has a limited number of terms, while an infinite sequence has an infinite number of terms. In other words, a finite sequence has an end, while an infinite sequence continues indefinitely.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a series where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. On the other hand, a geometric series is a series where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. In other words, in an arithmetic series, each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term, while in a geometric series, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number.

How do you find the sum of an arithmetic or geometric series?

The sum of an arithmetic series can be found using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where n is the number of terms and a1 and an are the first and last terms, respectively. The sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula Sn = a1((1-r^n)/(1-r)), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.