Sequential SS in testing for main effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of extra sum of squares and the F test to test for main effects in a crossed fixed model without interaction. The individual is seeking guidance on how to approach this task, particularly in obtaining the quadratic form for the extra SS and utilizing the non central F distribution. However, they lack the necessary information and resources to fully understand and complete the task.
libragirl79
Linear Model topic:

Given that we have a crossed fixed model w/o interaction, how would I go about testing for the main effects using extra (seq) sum of squares?

I know I am supposed to somehow use the F test and get the non centrality parameter but I don't know how to start...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
libragirl79 said:
Linear Model topic:

Given that we have a crossed fixed model w/o interaction, how would I go about testing for the main effects using extra (seq) sum of squares?

I know I am supposed to somehow use the F test and get the non centrality parameter but I don't know how to start...

Thanks!

You need to supply much more information. I assume you have a 2-way layout, with ##y_{ij}## being the value for treatment i and column j. Do you have a rectangular matrix of data, or do you have different numbers of j's for different i's? Are the j's also 'treatments', or are they just repetitions of the same experiment (i.e., several measurements at the same i)?

Don't you have a textbook or course where all this material is discussed? Certainly, all this material is readily available on-line. Trying to learn it in a homework forum seems futile. We can supply hints only.

It's all just theory, I don't have actually any numbers, i goes from 1 to a and j goes from 1 to b. It's yij=mu+alphai+bj+e. I need to somehow use extra sum of squares R(alpha given beta and mu) to get to the quadratic form which would have a non central distribution and divided by the MSE, would have non central F to test for the effect of alpha. My problem is that I don't know how get the quadratic form for the extra SS in this case...

1. What is Sequential SS in testing for main effects?

Sequential SS (Sum of Squares) is a statistical method used in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of main effects in an experiment. It involves breaking down the total variability in the data into smaller components that can be attributed to specific factors or variables.

2. How is Sequential SS calculated?

Sequential SS is calculated by taking the sum of squared differences between the observed data and the mean of the data. This is done for each factor or variable being tested, and the resulting values are compared to determine the significance of their main effects.

3. What is the purpose of using Sequential SS in testing for main effects?

The purpose of using Sequential SS is to determine the extent to which each factor or variable contributes to the overall variability in the data. This allows researchers to identify the most significant factors and their main effects, which can help in understanding the underlying relationships and patterns in the data.

4. What are the assumptions of using Sequential SS in testing for main effects?

The main assumptions of using Sequential SS are that the data is normally distributed and that the factors being tested are independent of each other. Additionally, the sample size should be large enough to accurately represent the population being studied.

5. How does Sequential SS differ from other methods of testing for main effects?

Sequential SS differs from other methods such as One-Way ANOVA or Two-Way ANOVA in that it allows for the examination of main effects in a step-by-step manner, rather than all at once. This can be useful in identifying the most significant factors and their effects on the outcome variable. Additionally, it can be used for complex experimental designs with multiple factors and interactions.