Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment to differentiate between two samples

In summary: In (a), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort +/- x atoms 50:50. But in (b), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort now +/- z atoms 50:50.
felicity87

Homework Statement

Compare the following situations (a) and (b):
(a) A beam of atoms, half of which are preselected as “+ in z”, the
other half as “− in z”, is sent through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus
that
...(A) sorts in the z direction.
...(B) sorts in the x direction.

(b) A beam of atoms, all of which are preselected as “+ in x”, is sent
through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus that
...(B) sorts in the x direction.

Homework Equations

| x+ > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | z+ > + [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | z- >

| z+ > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x+ > + [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x- >

| z- > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x+ > - [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x- >

\\Edit :The Question is whether we can differentiate between situation (a) and (b) by knowing the results of the experiment alone. \\

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the measurement results do not enable us to tell the situation apart.
In (a), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort +/- x atoms 50:50.
In (b), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort now +/- z atoms 50:50.

However, I found the answer to be 'yes'. I am thinking that we can only tell the situation apart when there was no measurement done in (A) stage.
Can someone explain?

With Thanks,
Felicity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry... having described your two experimental set-ups, what's the actual question? What will the outcomes of the two arrangements be?

Sorry. The Question is whether we can differentiate between situation (a) and (b) by knowing the results of the experiment alone.

Hmm. Well I've slept on the question... and have come to the conclusion that I don't know the answer :tongue: There's one suggestion I can make, however, that sounds sensible to me but shouldn't be accepted uncritically. (Hence, I'll be less oblique than I usually am in homework help, or else I might send you looking in completely the wrong direction!)
The problem might really be about the time evolution of the system. You don't have to have a 50:50 sum of eigenstates in order to be in a superposition of states; and all that an eigenstate of z tells you about the x- and y- components is that they aren't eigenstates. Thus, it might be the case that the probability of getting spin -up or -down in the x-direction given that they were previously in an up-eigenstate of x is different to the case in which nothing about the history of the x-component is known.
Sorry I can't be more conclusive, but I hope that helps!

Muppet,
I somehow see the point about probabilites being different. I have not learned about the superposition of state yet so I am still lost.
Thank you all the same!

From your post above I can see that you have- you just don't know it!
Terminology: An eigenfunction of an operator is a function that, when operated upon by that operator, gives you itself mulitplied by some constant number called an eigenvalue. If a wave function is an eigenfunction of an operator corresponding to a physical quantity (an observable), then it is said to be in an eigenstate of that quantity.
If a system is described by a wavefunction that is a linear combination of eigenstates (like your spin states above) then it is said to be in a superposition of states.

Okay. Ah, well..

Anything else I can help with as I'm online??
The other suggestion I could make is that if you need help with a conceptual point you don't properly understand, you can always raise it in the QM forum. A lot more people check that.

Hihi..
Thanks for your offer! It is much better now :D
Btw, I'd like to close my question. I found out that the question was rather misleading.

I initially thought
"(a) A beam of atoms, half of which are preselected as “+ in z”, the
other half as “− in z”, is sent through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus
that
...(B) sorts in the x direction."
means
Source ---> [ (A) + (B) ] ---- measurement result since it is a Stern-Gerlach apparatus.

Apparently, the correct interpretation is
Source ---> [A]
Source ---> ---- two measurement results.

Then, we can tell the situation (a) and (b) apart.

1. What is the purpose of the Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The purpose of the Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment is to differentiate between two samples based on their magnetic dipole moments. This experiment is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the properties of atoms and subatomic particles.

2. How does the Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment work?

In this experiment, a beam of particles with different magnetic moments is passed through a series of magnets oriented in different directions. The magnets cause the particles to be deflected in different directions depending on their magnetic moment, allowing for the differentiation of the two samples.

3. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment in quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment was one of the first experiments to demonstrate the quantization of angular momentum, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also provided evidence for the existence of intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, in particles.

4. What are the limitations of the Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment?

One limitation of this experiment is that it can only differentiate between particles with different magnetic moments. It cannot be used to distinguish particles with the same magnetic moment. Additionally, the measurement process in this experiment can disturb the particles and affect their behavior, making it difficult to obtain precise measurements.

5. How is the Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment useful in practical applications?

The Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics research. It is also used in industries such as material science and pharmaceuticals for the analysis and separation of different types of particles.