1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequential Stern-Gerlach experiment to differentiate between two samples

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compare the following situations (a) and (b):
    (a) A beam of atoms, half of which are preselected as “+ in z”, the
    other half as “− in z”, is sent through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus
    that
    ...(A) sorts in the z direction.
    ...(B) sorts in the x direction.

(b) A beam of atoms, all of which are preselected as “+ in x”, is sent
    through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus that
    ...(B) sorts in the x direction.

2. Relevant equations
    | x+ > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | z+ > + [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | z- >

| z+ > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x+ > + [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x- >

| z- > = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x+ > - [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] | x- >

\\Edit :The Question is whether we can differentiate between situation (a) and (b) by knowing the results of the experiment alone. \\

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would think that the measurement results do not enable us to tell the situation apart.
    In (a), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort +/- x atoms 50:50.
    In (b), (A) will results in 50:50 selection and x-selector (B) will sort now +/- z atoms 50:50.

However, I found the answer to be 'yes'. I am thinking that we can only tell the situation apart when there was no measurement done in (A) stage.
    Can someone explain?

With Thanks,
    Felicity

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    Sorry... having described your two experimental set-ups, what's the actual question? What will the outcomes of the two arrangements be?

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    Sorry. The Question is whether we can differentiate between situation (a) and (b) by knowing the results of the experiment alone.

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4
    Hmm. Well I've slept on the question... and have come to the conclusion that I don't know the answer :tongue: There's one suggestion I can make, however, that sounds sensible to me but shouldn't be accepted uncritically. (Hence, I'll be less oblique than I usually am in homework help, or else I might send you looking in completely the wrong direction!)
    The problem might really be about the time evolution of the system. You don't have to have a 50:50 sum of eigenstates in order to be in a superposition of states; and all that an eigenstate of z tells you about the x- and y- components is that they aren't eigenstates. Thus, it might be the case that the probability of getting spin -up or -down in the x-direction given that they were previously in an up-eigenstate of x is different to the case in which nothing about the history of the x-component is known.
    Sorry I can't be more conclusive, but I hope that helps!

6. Sep 28, 2008 #5
    Muppet,
    I somehow see the point about probabilites being different. I have not learned about the superposition of state yet so I am still lost.
    Thank you all the same!

7. Sep 28, 2008 #6
    From your post above I can see that you have- you just don't know it!
    Terminology: An eigenfunction of an operator is a function that, when operated upon by that operator, gives you itself mulitplied by some constant number called an eigenvalue. If a wave function is an eigenfunction of an operator corresponding to a physical quantity (an observable), then it is said to be in an eigenstate of that quantity.
    If a system is described by a wavefunction that is a linear combination of eigenstates (like your spin states above) then it is said to be in a superposition of states.

8. Sep 28, 2008 #7
    Okay. Ah, well..

9. Sep 28, 2008 #8
    Anything else I can help with as I'm online??
    The other suggestion I could make is that if you need help with a conceptual point you don't properly understand, you can always raise it in the QM forum. A lot more people check that.

10. Oct 6, 2008 #9
    Hihi..
    Thanks for your offer! It is much better now :D
    Btw, I'd like to close my question. I found out that the question was rather misleading.

I initially thought
    "(a) A beam of atoms, half of which are preselected as “+ in z”, the
    other half as “− in z”, is sent through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus
    that
    ...(B) sorts in the x direction."
    means
    Source ---> [ (A) + (B) ] ---- measurement result since it is a Stern-Gerlach apparatus.

Apparently, the correct interpretation is
    Source ---> [A]
    Source ---> ---- two measurement results.

Then, we can tell the situation (a) and (b) apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?