What are some unexpected discoveries made by accident?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the two people who have recently returned to the chat room say that they have both discovered something strange recently. Both of them say that it has something to do with beer and their dishwashers looking a lot like their bar fridges.
Danger
Gold Member
I have recently discovered, purely by accident, that one can boil eggs in a dishwasher.
Anybody else have any screwball discoveries of a similar nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately i havent.

But i have learned that serendipity has happened a lota times in science.
Like cmbr, pen cilium and many things.

Hurray! Serendipity!

Danger said:
I have recently discovered, purely by accident, that one can boil eggs in a dishwasher.
Anybody else have any screwball discoveries of a similar nature?

C'mon, you can't leave us hanging like that...just how did this discovery happen "by accident"?

Did you use Jet Dry with the eggs?

I discovered in high school that it is possible to open up a 555 timer by connecting it to the mains.

lisab said:
C'mon, you can't leave us hanging like that...just how did this discovery happen "by accident"?

Could it have something to do with Easter? :smile: There are many products you can cook in the dishwasher, but eggs are the best: they won't taste soapy.

I discovered that it you find yourself trapped in a large manzanita grove on the top of a mountain with no way out (don't ask how I got there), that you can actually bend the manzanita branches over enough with your body weight, so that you can walk across the top of the large bushes to get down off the mountain. Crazy!

img_1233.jpg

hypatia said:

Ha! Look who's here!

How you been?

lisab said:
just how did this discovery happen "by accident"?
I don't want to get into details. Leave it suffice to be said that it has something to do with a lot of beers and the fact that my dishwasher looks a lot like my bar fridge.
Patty! Sweetheart! Welcome back. I've been worried about you.

hypatia said:

hypatia :smile:!

What a coincidence...this guy showed up today, too, after a prolonged absence...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3926813&postcount=18

*wonders if that really is just coincidence*

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
Hy hypatia! Please be back.

Ooops! I owe Lancelot and Monique a :smile: each for their comments. The return of Hypatia disoriented me and I forgot to do it earlier.

FAQ: What are some unexpected discoveries made by accident?

What is serendipity?

Serendipity is the occurrence of fortunate or unexpected events that happen by chance.

How does serendipity relate to scientific discoveries?

Many scientific discoveries and inventions have been made by chance or happy accidents, which is known as serendipity. Researchers may stumble upon unexpected results while conducting experiments, leading to new discoveries.

Can serendipity be intentionally harnessed in research?

While serendipity cannot be guaranteed, scientists can create an environment that promotes open-mindedness and encourages exploration of unexpected results, increasing the chances of discovering something new and valuable.

Is serendipity a reliable method for making scientific breakthroughs?

Serendipity should not be solely relied upon for scientific breakthroughs. While it can lead to new discoveries, it is not a reliable or consistent method of making scientific progress. It should be seen as an opportunity rather than a strategy.

How can one cultivate serendipity in their personal or professional life?

Cultivating a curious and open mindset, being aware of one's surroundings and paying attention to details, and being willing to take risks and explore unexpected paths can increase the chances of experiencing serendipity in one's personal or professional life.

Back