Series expansion from the red book on special functions by Richard Ask

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical expansion and a discrepancy in the resulting term. The speaker wants to use Mathematica to check their calculations and suggests using the command Series to get the series expansion. Another speaker suggests expanding both factors to order j^{-2} and multiplying them together to get the correct result.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I want to check my calculations via mathematica.

In the book I am reading there's this expansion:
$$\frac{(1+\frac{1}{j})^x}{1+x/j}=1+\frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2}+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)$$

though I get instead of the term ##\frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2}## in the rhs the term: ##-\frac{x(x+1)}{2j^2}##.

So I want to check by mathematica if my calculations are correct, how do you suggest me to implement it in mathematica?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have experience with Mathematica, but I suggest you try the example x=2 to see if your expansion is right.

Likes DrClaude and FactChecker
Define ##k \equiv 1/j## then use the command Series to get the series expansion about ##k=0##.
The book is correct.

Likes docnet and FactChecker
DrClaude said:
Define ##k \equiv 1/j## then use the command Series to get the series expansion about ##k=0##.
The book is correct.
Yeah I know.
I thought to myself to expand ##(1+1/j)^x = 1+x/j+x(x-1)/(2j^2)+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)## and ##(1+x/j)^{-1}=1-x/j+\mathcal{O}(1/j^2)## and then multiply both factors; but it seems not to be the correct approach.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Yeah I know.
I thought to myself to expand ##(1+1/j)^x = 1+x/j+x(x-1)/(2j^2)+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)## and ##(1+x/j)^{-1}=1-x/j+\mathcal{O}(1/j^2)## and then multiply both factors; but it seems not to be the correct approach.

You need to expand both to order [itex]j^{-2}[/itex]: [tex]
\begin{align*}
\left(1 + \frac 1j\right)^x &= 1 + \frac xj + \frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3}) \\
\left(1 + \frac xj \right)^{-1} &= 1 - \frac xj + \frac{x^2}{j^2} + O(j^{-3}) \end{align*}.[/tex] Now multiply these together, ignoring any term of order [itex]j^{-3}[/itex] or higher: [tex]\begin{split}
\left(1 - \frac xj + \frac{x^2}{j^2} + O(j^{-3})\right) + \frac xj \left( 1 - \frac xj + O(j^{-2}) \right) +
\frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} \left(1 + O(j^{-1})\right) \\= 1 + \frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3}).\end{split}[/tex] Omitting [itex]+x^2/j^2[/itex] from the first bracket will give the incorrect [tex]
1 - \frac{x(x+1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3})[/tex] from your original post.

Likes docnet and DrClaude

1. What is the "red book on special functions" by Richard Ask?

The "red book on special functions" by Richard Ask is a book that provides a comprehensive collection of series expansions for various special functions. It is a valuable resource for mathematicians, physicists, and engineers who need to work with special functions in their research or applications.

2. What is a series expansion?

A series expansion is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of simpler functions. It is a useful tool for approximating functions and solving problems in mathematics and other fields. In the context of special functions, series expansions can help us understand the behavior of these functions and calculate their values for specific inputs.

3. What are some examples of special functions included in the red book?

The red book contains series expansions for a wide range of special functions, including the Bessel functions, Legendre functions, hypergeometric functions, and many others. These functions are commonly used in applied mathematics, physics, and engineering to describe various physical phenomena and solve mathematical problems.

4. How can the red book be used in research or applications?

The red book can be used as a reference for finding series expansions for specific special functions. It can also be used to compare different series expansions and choose the most appropriate one for a particular problem. Additionally, the book includes tables of coefficients for certain series expansions, making it a useful tool for numerical calculations.

5. Is the red book suitable for beginners?

The red book is primarily intended for advanced users who are already familiar with special functions and their applications. However, it can also be used as a learning resource for those who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of series expansions and their connection to special functions. It is recommended to have a strong background in mathematical analysis and calculus before using this book.