Series expansion from the red book on special functions by Richard Ask

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
I want to check my calculations via mathematica.

In the book I am reading there's this expansion:
$$\frac{(1+\frac{1}{j})^x}{1+x/j}=1+\frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2}+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)$$

though I get instead of the term ##\frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2}## in the rhs the term: ##-\frac{x(x+1)}{2j^2}##.

So I want to check by mathematica if my calculations are correct, how do you suggest me to implement it in mathematica?

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have experience with Mathematica, but I suggest you try the example x=2 to see if your expansion is right.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude and FactChecker
Define ##k \equiv 1/j## then use the command Series to get the series expansion about ##k=0##.
The book is correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: docnet and FactChecker
DrClaude said:
Define ##k \equiv 1/j## then use the command Series to get the series expansion about ##k=0##.
The book is correct.
Yeah I know.
I thought to myself to expand ##(1+1/j)^x = 1+x/j+x(x-1)/(2j^2)+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)## and ##(1+x/j)^{-1}=1-x/j+\mathcal{O}(1/j^2)## and then multiply both factors; but it seems not to be the correct approach.
 
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Yeah I know.
I thought to myself to expand ##(1+1/j)^x = 1+x/j+x(x-1)/(2j^2)+\mathcal{O}(1/j^3)## and ##(1+x/j)^{-1}=1-x/j+\mathcal{O}(1/j^2)## and then multiply both factors; but it seems not to be the correct approach.

You need to expand both to order [itex]j^{-2}[/itex]: [tex] \begin{align*}<br /> \left(1 + \frac 1j\right)^x &= 1 + \frac xj + \frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3}) \\<br /> \left(1 + \frac xj \right)^{-1} &= 1 - \frac xj + \frac{x^2}{j^2} + O(j^{-3}) \end{align*}.[/tex] Now multiply these together, ignoring any term of order [itex]j^{-3}[/itex] or higher: [tex]\begin{split}<br /> \left(1 - \frac xj + \frac{x^2}{j^2} + O(j^{-3})\right) + \frac xj \left( 1 - \frac xj + O(j^{-2}) \right) + <br /> \frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} \left(1 + O(j^{-1})\right) \\= 1 + \frac{x(x-1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3}).\end{split}[/tex] Omitting [itex]+x^2/j^2[/itex] from the first bracket will give the incorrect [tex] 1 - \frac{x(x+1)}{2j^2} + O(j^{-3})[/tex] from your original post.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: docnet and DrClaude