1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series, find Divergence or Convergence

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Divergence or Convergence of the series

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{2n^2+3n}{\sqrt{5+n^5}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Ratio Test, Comparison Test, Limit Comparison Test, Integral test etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was on my final exam and the only question of which I couldn't actually figure out. I tried the ratio test multiple times and ended getting L=1 which is no info multiple times. I figured the comparison test was the right approach but had no idea what series to compare it to.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

You could compare it to: [tex]\frac{2n^2}{\sqrt{n^5}}[/tex]Or you could try factorizing it by taking out [itex]n^2[/itex] from the numerator and denominator.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. May 18, 2012 #3
    Can you expand on your suggestions? I am utterly clueless with respect to this problem.

5. May 18, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

Taking out [itex]n^2[/itex] from the numerator and denominator:[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{2+\frac{3}{n}}{\sqrt{5/n^4 + n}}[/tex]Well, the nth-term test is not useful here, as the limit is 0.

6. May 18, 2012 #5
    Ye I was about to say that lol.

7. May 18, 2012 #6

sharks

Gold Member

You should always try with the simpler tests first. :smile:

Using the comparison test: [tex]u_n=\frac{2n^2+3n}{\sqrt{5+n^5}}[/tex][tex]v_n=\frac{2n^2}{\sqrt{n^5}}=\frac{2}{n^{1/2}}[/tex]Now, use the p-series test and the series ##v_n## diverges.
    Since [itex]v_n \le u_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}v_n[/itex] diverges, therefore the original series diverges.

8. May 18, 2012 #7
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook