Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series, find Divergence or Convergence

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Divergence or Convergence of the series

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{2n^2+3n}{\sqrt{5+n^5}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Ratio Test, Comparison Test, Limit Comparison Test, Integral test etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was on my final exam and the only question of which I couldn't actually figure out. I tried the ratio test multiple times and ended getting L=1 which is no info multiple times. I figured the comparison test was the right approach but had no idea what series to compare it to.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

DryRun

Gold Member

You could compare it to: [tex]\frac{2n^2}{\sqrt{n^5}}[/tex]Or you could try factorizing it by taking out [itex]n^2[/itex] from the numerator and denominator.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. May 18, 2012 #3
    Can you expand on your suggestions? I am utterly clueless with respect to this problem.

5. May 18, 2012 #4

DryRun

Gold Member

Taking out [itex]n^2[/itex] from the numerator and denominator:[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{2+\frac{3}{n}}{\sqrt{5/n^4 + n}}[/tex]Well, the nth-term test is not useful here, as the limit is 0.

6. May 18, 2012 #5
    Ye I was about to say that lol.

7. May 18, 2012 #6

DryRun

Gold Member

You should always try with the simpler tests first. :smile:

Using the comparison test: [tex]u_n=\frac{2n^2+3n}{\sqrt{5+n^5}}[/tex][tex]v_n=\frac{2n^2}{\sqrt{n^5}}=\frac{2}{n^{1/2}}[/tex]Now, use the p-series test and the series ##v_n## diverges.
    Since [itex]v_n \le u_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}v_n[/itex] diverges, therefore the original series diverges.

8. May 18, 2012 #7
    Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook