Series Problem and Simplification

• Thread starter verd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying series and understanding the rules for geometric series. The first part discusses how to go from a series with exponents to one with a common base. The second part talks about how to correctly expand and solve geometric series.
verd
Hi,

I'm a bit confused when it comes to the simplification here. I must've had a brain fart or something when we were going over this, but if I had the following series:

[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 2^{2n}3^{1-n}[/tex]

I know enough to go this far:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{2^{2n}}{3^{n-1}}[/tex]

But my textbook goes on to make the above into this:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 4(\frac{4}{3})^{n-1}[/tex]

I know that this is just a simplification, but how do they get from my second step to the above step? I thought I knew how, but this proved wrong on a couple of different problems I was working on.Also, for this series:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3^n+2^n}{6^n}[/tex]

I've done this:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3^n+2^n}{6^n} = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3^n}{6^n}+\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{6^n} = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2})^n + \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} (\frac{1}{3})^n[/tex]

So for the first sum, a=1 and r=1/2, and for the second sum a=1 and r=1/3.

But this is apparently wrong. From the solution manual, for the first one, a=1/2 and r=1/2, for the second one, a=1/3 and r=1/3.Can someone explain this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use (x^n)^m=x^(mn)

verd said:
Hi,

I'm a bit confused when it comes to the simplification here. I must've had a brain fart or something when we were going over this, but if I had the following series:

[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 2^{2n}3^{1-n}[/tex]

I know enough to go this far:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{2^{2n}}{3^{n-1}}[/tex]

But my textbook goes on to make the above into this:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 4(\frac{4}{3})^{n-1}[/tex]

I know that this is just a simplification, but how do they get from my second step to the above step? I thought I knew how, but this proved wrong on a couple of different problems I was working on.

[tex]\sum _{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2^{2n}}{3^{n-1}} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(2^2)2^{2n-2}}{3^{n-1}} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 4\left( \frac{2^2}{3} \right)^{n-1} = \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 4\left( \frac{4}{3} \right)^{n-1}[/tex]

verd said:
Also, for this series:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3^n+2^n}{6^n}[/tex]

I've done this:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{3^n+2^n}{6^n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{3^n}{6^n} + \sum _{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{6^n} = \sum _{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2})^n + \sum _{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{3})^n[/tex]

So for the first sum, a=1 and r=1/2, and for the second sum a=1 and r=1/3.

But this is apparently wrong. From the solution manual, for the first one, a=1/2 and r=1/2, for the second one, a=1/3 and r=1/3.

Can someone explain this?

Thanks!
It might help if you expand each sum,

[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2})^n = \frac{1}{2} + \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 + ... [/tex]

[tex] \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} (\frac{1}{3})^n = \frac{1}{3} + \left(\frac{1}{3}\right) \left(\frac{1}{3} \right) + \left(\frac{1}{3} \right)\left(\frac{1}{3} \right)^2 + ... [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I get the first part with the simplification.

The second part though, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding... I don't understand why my answer wouldn't work.

By that rationale, you'd have:
[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} (\frac{1}{2})^n = \frac{1}{2} + \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) \left(\frac{1}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\right) + ... [/tex]

I mean, it seems that no matter what, it's [tex]ar^n[/tex], and if my r is just 1/2, it'd be 1*r^n... But then the whole a/1-r rule isn't working.

They look like they'd give the same answers. Is there some sort of rule or something that says that you have to do it this way? I'm still a bit confused... ahy.

compare the expansion to the general equation of a geometric series

[tex] a + ar + ar^2 + ...[/tex]

pay particularly close attention to the first term of each sum.

Last edited:
that seems like it'd make sense if n started at 0...

[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} ar^n[/tex]
would give you: [tex]ar^1+ar^2+ar^3+ar^4+...[/tex]
wouldn't it?

ah. I see. It's

[tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} ar^{n-1}[/tex]That changes everything.

1. What is a series problem?

A series problem is a mathematical question that involves finding the sum of a sequence of numbers. The sequence can be finite or infinite, and the numbers can follow a specific pattern or be random.

2. How do I simplify a series problem?

To simplify a series problem, you can use various techniques such as finding a common ratio or difference, using a formula, or using a calculator. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most efficient method for simplification.

3. Can series problems be solved without a calculator?

Yes, series problems can be solved without a calculator by using mental math or traditional pen and paper methods. However, for more complex problems, a calculator may be necessary for accurate and faster results.

4. What are some common types of series problems?

Some common types of series problems include arithmetic series, geometric series, and harmonic series. These types of series have specific formulas and rules that can be used to simplify and solve them.

5. How can I check if my solution to a series problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a series problem is correct, you can use the formula for the specific type of series or use a calculator to verify your answer. You can also try plugging in the solution back into the original problem and see if it satisfies the given conditions.