Series problem: given s(sub n), find a(sub n) and sum of a(sub n)

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpicyPepper
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 20K views
SpicyPepper
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is a problem in my book, and the answer is in the back. Unfortunately I can't solve it.

If the nth partial sum of a series [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity is

[tex]s_{n} = (n - 1) / (n + 1)[/tex]

find [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations


[tex]a_{n} = s_{n} - s_{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the equation above to get [tex]a_{n} = 2/(n(n+1))[/tex]

To get the sum, I wrote out the sequence after I figured out:
2/(n(n+1)) = 2/n - 2/(n+1)
so
= lim n->infinity (2/1 - 2/2) + (2/2 - 2/3) + (2/3 - 2/4) + ... + (2/n - 2/(n+1))
= lim n->infty 2/1 - 2(n+1)
= 2

But the answer for the sum is 1.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not all a_n follow that formula -- check where it's not applicable.
 
SpicyPepper said:

Homework Statement


This is a problem in my book, and the answer is in the back. Unfortunately I can't solve it.

If the nth partial sum of a series [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity is

[tex]s_{n} = (n - 1) / (n + 1)[/tex]

find [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations


[tex]a_{n} = s_{n} - s_{n-1}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I used the equation above to get [tex]a_{n} = 2/(n(n+1))[/tex]

To get the sum, I wrote out the sequence after I figured out:
2/(n(n+1)) = 2/n - 2/(n+1)
so
= lim n->infinity (2/1 - 2/2) + (2/2 - 2/3) + (2/3 - 2/4) + ... + (2/n - 2/(n+1))
= lim n->infty 2/1 - 2(n+1)
= 2

But the answer for the sum is 1.
The sum of an infinite series is, by definition, the limit of the sequence of partial sums. Here it is [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} (n-1)/(n+1)[/itex].

To find the individual terms, [itex]a_1[/itex] is the first "partial sum": [itex]a_1= (1-1)/(1+1)= 0[/itex]. [itex]a_2[/itex] is then given by [itex]a_1+ a_2= (2-1)/(2+1)[/itex] so [itex]0+ a_2= a_2= 1/3[/itex]. [itex]a_3[/itex] is given by [itex]a_1+ a_2+ a_3= 0+ 1/3+ a_3[/itex][itex]= (3-1)(3+1)= 2/4= 1/2[/itex] so [itex]a_3= 1/2- 1/3= 1/6[/itex], etc.