Series problem: given s(sub n), find a(sub n) and sum of a(sub n)

• Thread starter SpicyPepper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary: We see that a_n= 1/(2n- 2)- 1/(2n- 1)= 1/(n-1)- 1/n and \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n= 1. In summary, the nth partial sum of the given series is (n-1)/(n+1) and the individual terms can be found using the equation a_n= 1/(n-1)- 1/n, with a sum of 1 for the infinite series.
SpicyPepper

Homework Statement

This is a problem in my book, and the answer is in the back. Unfortunately I can't solve it.

If the nth partial sum of a series [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity is

[tex]s_{n} = (n - 1) / (n + 1)[/tex]

find [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{n} = s_{n} - s_{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above to get [tex]a_{n} = 2/(n(n+1))[/tex]

To get the sum, I wrote out the sequence after I figured out:
2/(n(n+1)) = 2/n - 2/(n+1)
so
= lim n->infinity (2/1 - 2/2) + (2/2 - 2/3) + (2/3 - 2/4) + ... + (2/n - 2/(n+1))
= lim n->infty 2/1 - 2(n+1)
= 2

But the answer for the sum is 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all a_n follow that formula -- check where it's not applicable.

SpicyPepper said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem in my book, and the answer is in the back. Unfortunately I can't solve it.

If the nth partial sum of a series [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity is

[tex]s_{n} = (n - 1) / (n + 1)[/tex]

find [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma a_{n}[/tex] n=1 to infinity

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{n} = s_{n} - s_{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above to get [tex]a_{n} = 2/(n(n+1))[/tex]

To get the sum, I wrote out the sequence after I figured out:
2/(n(n+1)) = 2/n - 2/(n+1)
so
= lim n->infinity (2/1 - 2/2) + (2/2 - 2/3) + (2/3 - 2/4) + ... + (2/n - 2/(n+1))
= lim n->infty 2/1 - 2(n+1)
= 2

But the answer for the sum is 1.
The sum of an infinite series is, by definition, the limit of the sequence of partial sums. Here it is [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} (n-1)/(n+1)[/itex].

To find the individual terms, [itex]a_1[/itex] is the first "partial sum": [itex]a_1= (1-1)/(1+1)= 0[/itex]. [itex]a_2[/itex] is then given by [itex]a_1+ a_2= (2-1)/(2+1)[/itex] so [itex]0+ a_2= a_2= 1/3[/itex]. [itex]a_3[/itex] is given by [itex]a_1+ a_2+ a_3= 0+ 1/3+ a_3[/itex][itex]= (3-1)(3+1)= 2/4= 1/2[/itex] so [itex]a_3= 1/2- 1/3= 1/6[/itex], etc.

1. How do I find the next term in a series?

To find the next term in a series, you can use the given formula for the pattern or try to identify a pattern based on the existing terms. You can also use the difference between consecutive terms to determine the next term.

2. How do I find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series or a telescoping series. You can also use the partial sum formula for an infinite series or use a calculator or software to calculate the sum.

3. What is the difference between a sub n and the sum of a sub n in a series?

A sub n represents an individual term in a series, while the sum of a sub n represents the sum of all the terms in the series up to the nth term. In other words, a sub n is a single number in the series, while the sum of a sub n is the total of all the numbers in the series up to that point.

4. How do I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine convergence or divergence of a series, you can use various convergence tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests can help determine if the series approaches a finite value (converges) or approaches infinity (diverges).

5. Can I use a calculator or software to solve series problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator or software to solve series problems. Many calculators have built-in functions for finding the next term in a series or calculating the sum of a series. There are also software programs specifically designed for solving series problems and can handle more complex series.