Series Representation for Function

In summary, the Taylor series for f(x) = 1 / (1-x2)2 about x = 0 is \displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n(x^2)^{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+1)(x^{2})^n. The x in front of the x^2n term comes from applying the chain rule when differentiating (x2)n.
KDawgAtsu

Homework Statement

Fin the Taylor series about x = 0 for:
f(x) = 1 / (1-x2)2

Homework Equations

g(x) = 1 / (1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiating g(x), the series representation of g'(x) is Ʃn(x2)n-1
Since f(x) = g'(x)/2x
f(x) = Ʃ(n/2)x2n-1
I'm pretty sure that's right, but what I don't get is that the solution for this problem is also written as Ʃn(x2)n-1, which is just g'(x).

What am I misunderstanding here?

Physics news on Phys.org
KDawgAtsu said:

Homework Statement

Fin the Taylor series about x = 0 for:
f(x) = 1 / (1-x2)2

Homework Equations

g(x) = 1 / (1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f(x) = g'(x)/2x
f(x) = Ʃ(n/2)x2n-1
I'm pretty sure that's right, but what I don't get is that the solution for this problem is also written as Ʃn(x2)n-1, which is just g'(x).

What am I misunderstanding here?
The Taylor series about x = 0 for g(x) = 1 / (1-x2) is: [itex]\displaystyle g(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(x^2)^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(x^{2n})\,,[/itex] where x0=1 .

Differentiating term by term gives: [itex]\displaystyle g'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2n(x^{2n-1})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(n+1)x(x^{2n})\,,\text{ or equivalently }\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2n}{x}(x^2)^n[/itex]

Dividing by 2x gives: [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n(x^2)^{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+1)(x^{2})^n\,.[/itex]

They're all somewhat different.

[itex]\displaystyle g'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2n(x^{2n-1})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(n+1)x(x^{2n})\,,\text{ or equivalently }\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2n}{x}(x^2)^n[/itex]

Where did the x in front of the x^2n come from? I know you just shifted n=1 to n = 0, but I can't see where the x comes from?

KDawgAtsu said:
[itex]\displaystyle g'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2n(x^{2n-1})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(n+1)x(x^{2n})\,,\text{ or equivalently }\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2n}{x}(x^2)^n[/itex]

Where did the x in front of the x^2n come from? I know you just shifted n=1 to n = 0, but I can't see where the x comes from?

[itex]\displaystyle g'(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2n(x^{2n-1}) =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2(n+1)(x^{2n+1})=\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}2(n+1)(x\cdot x^{2n})[/itex]

Change n to n+1 so 2n - 1 becomes 2(n+1)-1 = 2n + 2 - 1 = 2n+1 .

KDawgAtsu said:
If you were wondering why your attempt didn't work out, it's because you forgot to use the chain rule when you differentiated (x2)n. That's where the factor of 2x went missing in your calculation.

What is a series representation for a function?

A series representation for a function is a way to express a function as an infinite sum of simpler, known functions. This allows for easier manipulation and evaluation of the function.

Why are series representations for functions useful?

Series representations for functions are useful because they can often simplify complex functions into more manageable forms, making them easier to work with and evaluate. They can also be used to approximate a function or to find solutions to equations.

What types of functions can be represented as a series?

Many types of functions can be represented as a series, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. However, not all functions can be represented as a series, and some may require more complex series representations.

How is a series representation for a function calculated?

The specific method for calculating a series representation for a function depends on the type of function and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, a series is created by finding a pattern in the function and expressing it as an infinite sum of terms. This sum can then be evaluated to approximate the function.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a series representation for a function that is centered around a specific point, while a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the center point is 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series evaluated at x=0.