1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series solution about a regular singular point (x=0) of xy''-xy'-y=0

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the indicial equation and find 2 independent series solutions for the DE:
    xy''-xy'-y=0 about the regular singular point x=0

2. Relevant equations
    y=Ʃ(0→∞) Cnxn+r
    y'=Ʃ(0→∞) Cn(n+r)xn+r-1
    y''=Ʃ(0→∞) Cn(n+r)(n+r-1)xn+r-2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Finding the indicial eq.
    Stan. form y''-y'-(1/x)y=0

p(x)=x*(-1)=-x
    q(x)=x2*(-1/x)=-x

Making ao and bo both zero for

r(r-1)+aor+bo=0

so r=0,1

Solving for the equation I finish with (I'll skip a few steps, confident in this portion)

Cor(r-1)xr-1+Ʃ(0→∞) [Cn+1(n+r+1)(n+r)-Cn(n+r+1)]xn+r

Inside the brackets = 0 so the recurrence relation is

Cn=Cn+1(n+r) , n=0,1,2,3...

For r=1, Cn=Cn+1(n+1)

Co=C1, n=0
    C1=C2(2)=Co/2, n=1
    C2=C3(3)=Co/2*3, n=2
    C3=C4(4)=Co/2*3*4, n=3

I conclude y1=Co(1+x+x2/2!+x3/3!...)
    which is the series for ex, though our professor wants this in series form.

For r=0, Cn=Cn+1(n)

Co=0, n=0
    C1=C2, n=1
    C2=C3(2)=C1/2, n=2
    C3=C4(3)=C1/2*3, n=3

I'm not to sure how put this into summing terms, the zero is throwing me off.
    I'd like to know if I'm on the right track with this. I feel like I did everything as I was supposed to, but something is giving me gut feeling that some portion is erroneous.

Thanks for the help, if you choose to lend it to this tedious problem lol :zzz:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    Bumpity. Does anyone even have perhaps a hint that something is wrong?

4. May 14, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your conclusion is wrong. You can see this if you plug ex into the original differential equation. It's not a solution. Remember you're working on the case where r=1. What's the power of x in the lowest-order term?

C0 can't be equal to 0. By definition, it's the coefficient of the lowest-order non-vanishing term. Because the two values of r differ by an integer, this method won't give you a second independent solution. You'll have to find the second solution another way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook