Series Test for Convergence Problem

In summary: I've restored the template here, but it looks like the response you got from someone else was for a different problem (and possibly from a different forum).In summary, the question is whether the series \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n-1}} is convergent. The first comparison test was attempted, but no information was obtained as the series used for comparison diverged. The ratio test and root test were also inconclusive. The poster is seeking a hint for what to try next, possibly a different series for comparison.
porroadventum
1. Is 1/(√(2n-1) convergent?

2. I have tried the first comparison test: an= 1/(√(2n-1) and bn=1/(n1/2. 0<=an<=bn. But bn diverges so we get no information.

I have tried the second comparson test and let bn=1/n. But an/bn=∞ so once again I get no information.

I have tried the ratio test but the limn→∞an+1/an=1 so I get no information.

I have tried the root test but limsupn→∞an=1 so I get no information..

3. I have run out of options! Can anyone offer a hint as to what I should try next? Perhaps a different bn for the first comparison test?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm busy doing my first course in real analysis at the moment so I'm no expert and could well be wrong but given than the sequence is decreasing you can and probably should use the integral test.

porroadventum said:
1. Is 1/(√(2n-1) convergent?
I assume you mean
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n-1}}[/tex]
Note that [itex]\sqrt{2n-1} \leq 2n-1 < 2n[/itex]. Try using this fact to apply the comparison test.

Sorry, I do mean the summation of 1/(√(2n-1)! Thank you very much for your help.

porroadventum said:
1. Is 1/(√(2n-1) convergent?[/b]

2. I have tried the first comparison test: an= 1/(√(2n-1) and bn=1/(n1/2. 0<=an<=bn. But bn diverges so we get no information.

I have tried the second comparison test and let bn=1/n. But an/bn=∞ so once again I get no information.

I have tried the ratio test but the limn→∞an+1/an=1 so I get no information.

I have tried the root test but limsupn→∞an=1 so I get no information.[/b].

3. I have run out of options! Can anyone offer a hint as to what I should try next? Perhaps a different bn for the first comparison test?[/b]
(You may get a warning from a Moderator regarding posting in bold typeface.)

If the series diverges, then you need to compare your series to a divergent series which is smaller, term by term.

I did not know I was not allowed to post using bold. I noticed the bold input letters were already there so just typed within them... I'm sorry I will not do it again.

Bolding removed. To the OP - please don't remove the parts of the template (problem statement, relevant equations, etc.). Removing these parts and then typing between the B tags caused everything you wrote to appear in bold.

What is the Series Test for Convergence Problem?

The Series Test for Convergence Problem is a method used to determine whether an infinite series, or a sum of an infinite number of terms, converges (approaches a finite value) or diverges (does not approach a finite value). It is an important concept in mathematics and physics, specifically in the study of sequences and series.

What are the different types of Series Test for Convergence?

There are several types of Series Test for Convergence, including the Comparison Test, the Limit Comparison Test, the Ratio Test, the Root Test, and the Integral Test. Each test has its own criteria and is used for different types of series. It is important to understand the various tests in order to determine the convergence of a given series.

How do you use the Series Test for Convergence?

The Series Test for Convergence involves applying one of the above-mentioned tests to a given series in order to determine whether it converges or diverges. This typically involves finding the limit of a certain ratio or integral, and comparing it to known values or series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges.

What is the importance of the Series Test for Convergence?

The Series Test for Convergence is important because it allows us to determine whether a given series has a finite value or not. This is crucial in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, where infinite series are often used to model real-world phenomena. Understanding the convergence of these series is essential in making accurate predictions and calculations.

What are some real-life applications of the Series Test for Convergence?

The Series Test for Convergence is used in many real-life applications, including in physics, economics, and finance. In physics, it is used to determine the convergence of infinite series in equations that model physical systems. In economics and finance, it is used in the study of compound interest, stock market trends, and other financial calculations that involve infinite series.