Set Notation Question: Converting to Set Builder Notation | Homework Help

In summary, the set {...(1/8),(1/4),(1/2),(1),(2),(4),(8)...} can be expressed in set builder notation as either { x = {\frac {1}{2^n} : n \in ℤ } } or { x = {{2^n} : n \in ℤ } }. Both answers are valid and equivalent, and neither one is preferred over the other. This is because 2^-n is equal to 1/2^n and 2^n is equal to 1/2^-n, so for every integer n, both equations will produce the same values for x.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

So I have the set

{...(1/8),(1/4),(1/2),(1),(2),(4),(8)...}

I am suppose to put it in set builder notation..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer was {[itex] x = {\frac {1}{2^n} : n \in ℤ } [/itex]}

but my books was

{[itex] x = {{2^n} : n \in ℤ } [/itex]}

I understand both answers to be true. But would my answer be valid say, on a test or something. Is one of these preferred over the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

So I have the set

{...(1/8),(1/4),(1/2),(1),(2),(4),(8)...}

I am suppose to put it in set builder notation..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer was {[itex] x = {\frac {1}{2^n} : n \in ℤ } [/itex]}

but my books was

{[itex] x = {{2^n} : n \in ℤ } [/itex]}

I understand both answers to be true. But would my answer be valid say, on a test or something. Is one of these preferred over the other?
In any but a brain-dead computerized quiz, both should be recognized as correct. IMO, neither one would be preferred over the other.

Mark44 said:
In any but a brain-dead computerized quiz, both should be recognized as correct. IMO, neither one would be preferred over the other.

Okay thank you. I just wanted to make sure..

Rijad Hadzic said:
Okay thank you. I just wanted to make sure..

The reason they are equivalent is that
$$ 2^{-n} = \frac{1}{2^n}, \: \text{and} \; 2^n = \frac{1}{2^{-n}}, $$
so that when ##n## runs through all positive and negative integers, for every ##n \in \mathbb{Z}## value of ##2^n## is matched exactly by ##1/2^m##, where ##m \in \mathbb{Z}##.

What is set notation?

Set notation is a mathematical language used to represent a group or collection of numbers, objects, or elements. It is used to describe the properties and relationships between these elements.

What is Set Builder Notation?

Set Builder Notation is a way to represent a set by describing its elements using mathematical expressions and symbols. It is written as {x | condition on x}, where x represents the elements in the set and the condition determines which elements are included.

How do I convert from set notation to set builder notation?

To convert from set notation to set builder notation, you need to identify the elements in the set and the conditions that determine their inclusion. Then, write the set builder notation as {x | condition on x}, where x represents the elements and the condition is based on the properties or characteristics of x.

What are the benefits of using set notation?

Set notation allows for a concise and precise representation of a set, making it easier to work with in mathematical equations and proofs. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between sets.

How is set notation used in science?

Set notation is used in science to represent and describe various concepts, such as the elements in a chemical reaction, the states of matter, or the characteristics of a biological population. It is also used in statistical analysis and data representation.