Prove that {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x}

• Thread starter lep11
  • Start date
In summary, we need to prove that if an integer is divisible by 2 and 9, then it must also be divisible by 6. To do this, we use the concept of unique prime factorization, which states that every positive integer can be written as a unique product of primes. Therefore, if an integer is divisible by 2 and 9, it must be divisible by the prime factors of 2 and 9, which are 2 and 3. This means that x=2*3*3*n for some integer n. Simplifying, we get x=6*3n, which shows that x is also divisible by 6. Therefore, the intersection of the two sets {x∈
lep11

Homework Statement

Prove that {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x}.
It means that the intersection of the two sets is subset of the set containing integers that are divisible by 6.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I need to show that if an integer is divisible by 2 and 9, then it's also divisible by 6.
Proof:
let. x=2*9*n=18*n=(6*3*n)∈{x∈ℤ : 6|x} (n∈ℤ)

Q.E.D.

However, I don't think it's that simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x}.
It means that the intersection of the two sets is subset of the set containing integers that are divisible by 6.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I need to show that if an integer is divisible by 2 and 9, then it's also divisible by 6.
Proof:
let. x=2*9*n=18*n=(6*3*n)∈{x∈ℤ : 6|x} (n∈ℤ)

Q.E.D.

However, I don't think it's that simple.
You think wrong: it is correct. :oldsmile:

Ok, thanks :oldsmile:

Samy_A said:
You think wrong: it is correct. :oldsmile:

Actually, it's correct but needs some justification. Suppose I said x is divisible by 2 and 6. You would be wrong to say that x=2*6*n and conclude that's it's divisible by 12. You need to say something about prime numbers.

Dick said:
Actually, it's correct but needs some justification. Suppose I said x is divisible by 2 and 6. You would be wrong to say that x=2*6*n and conclude that's it's divisible by 12. You need to say something about prime numbers.
Let's summarize the proof.

I have already shown that if x is even, then the statement is true.

If x is a prime, additive inverse of a prime or ±1, then {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} = the empty set. And the empty set is a subset of every set. In addition, all primes are odd.

Therefore {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x} holds for all x∈ℤ.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
Let's summarize the proof.

I have already shown that if x is even, then the statement is true.

If x is a prime, additive inverse of a prime or ±1, then {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} = the empty set. And the empty set is a subset of every set. In addition, all primes are odd.

Therefore {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x} holds for all x∈ℤ.
I'm a little lost here. The statement "If x is a prime, additive inverse of a prime or ±1, then {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} = the empty set" is meaningless, or overuses the symbol "x".

What Dick meant was (I think) that you should explain more in detail why you can write x=2*9*n in your original proof. He gave as an example that this would not work for 2 and 6.

Samy_A said:
I'm a little lost here. The statement "If x is a prime, additive inverse of a prime or ±1, then {x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} = the empty set" is meaningless, or overuses the symbol "x".

What Dick meant was (I think) that you should explain more in detail why you can write x=2*9*n in your original proof. He gave as an example that this would not work for 2 and 6.

Right, that's what I meant. x being prime isn't an issue, it's something about 2 and 3 being prime.

Is it about prime factors? 2*3*3*n? How should I modify the original proof?

lep11 said:
Is it about prime factors? 2*3*3*n? How should I modify the original proof?
Not by much, as both Dick and myself said it is correct.
What you haven't explicitly explained is the following:
Take x ∈{y∈ℤ : 2|y} ∩ {y∈ℤ : 9|y}.
That says that x=2*a and x=9*b, where a and b are integers.
How do you conclude from this that x=2*9*n (n an integer)? We saw that for the pair 2,6 that doesn't work.

Isn't that obvious? I still don't get it.

x=2*a and x=9*b
So a=9 and b=2, because x is an integer.

lep11 said:
Isn't that obvious? I still don't get it,
It is rather obvious, but the point was that you didn't state why.

Let's assume I don't get it: I don't see why x=2*a and x=9*b implies x=2*9*n (a, b, n integers). How would you explain it to me?

lep11 said:
x=2*a and x=9*b
So a=9 and b=2, because x is an integer.
This is not correct.

If x is divisible by 2 and 9, then x must be product of at least 2 and 9.

lep11 said:
If x is divisible by 2 and 9, then x must be product of at least 2 and 9.
Why?
Just start from x=2*a=3*b (a,b integers).
EDIT: sorry, that whas a typo, as above it should have ben x=2*a=3*3*b

Last edited:
x=2*a=3*b
a=3b/2

Let's try this: we have as before x=2*a=9*b.

Do you think that b can be an odd integer? And why?

Samy_A said:
Let's try this: we have as before x=2*a=9*b.

Do you think that b can be an odd integer? And why?

The basic theorem you want to apply here is called "unique prime factorization". Samy A suggests an alternative trick way to do it. But I think you should work with the theorem. Unless you don't know it, in which case the trick is good.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The basic theorem you want to apply here is called "unique prime factorization". Samy A suggests an alternative trick way to do it. But I think you should work with the theorem. Unless you don't know it, in which case the trick is good.
I agree, and I assume he knows the theorem. But it looks as if he sees the theorem as so obvious that he doesn't actually states it.

let x=2*3*3*n=6*3n?

1. What does the notation "x∈ℤ" mean?

The notation "x∈ℤ" means that x is an element of the set of integers (ℤ).

2. What does the symbol "|" mean in the statement "2|x"?

The symbol "|" means "divides" in this context. So "2|x" means that 2 divides x, or in other words, x is an even number.

3. What does the symbol "∩" mean in the statement "2|x ∩ 9|x"?

The symbol "∩" means intersection, so "2|x ∩ 9|x" means the set of all integers that are both divisible by 2 and divisible by 9.

4. How do you prove that "{x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x}"?

To prove this statement, we need to show that every element in the set on the left side is also an element of the set on the right side. This can be done by assuming an arbitrary element x in the left set and using logical reasoning to show that it must also be an element of the right set.

5. Can you provide an example to illustrate the statement "{x∈ℤ : 2|x} ∩ {x∈ℤ : 9|x} ⊂ {x∈ℤ : 6|x}"?

Yes, an example would be the integer 18. This number is divisible by both 2 and 9, so it is an element of the set on the left side. And since 18 is also divisible by 6, it is also an element of the set on the right side.