Set Notation Question Very Easy

In summary, the domain of a function with a vertical asymptote at x=3 would be represented as (-infinity, 3)U(3, infinity) in interval notation. The use of parenthesis indicates that 3 is not included in the domain. This notation is used instead of set builder notation, as set builder notation would not accurately represent the excluded point.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

If the domain of a function was defined for all reals except undefined at say x=3 were there was a vertical asymptote would you right
(-infinity, 3)U(3, infinity)
I'm not sure if it is union or infinity it's union right because technically they don't intersect right becaue of that one point? I just wanted to make sure... Thank You

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

If the domain of a function was defined for all reals except undefined at say x=3 were there was a vertical asymptote would you right
(-infinity, 3)U(3, infinity)
I'm not sure if it is union or infinity it's union right because technically they don't intersect right becaue of that one point? I just wanted to make sure... Thank You

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That's correct interval notation saying "all real numbers except for 3". It's not "set builder notation" though?

The ")" is indicating that the numbers from negative infinity to 3 are not actually reaching 3. Likewise, the second part of the range is "(3,infinity)" showing that it does not actually reach 3, and extends to positive infinity.

If the interval note actually reached a number, you would use a "[". Suppose you have a range from -5 to 10, but not actually hiting 10 (asymptote ect), and then from 10 to infinity. It would look like
[-5,10)U(10,infinity)

Or something like {1<x<5 or 7<x<infinity}, on this one you have a definate range of numbers..
[1,5]U[7,infinity) /infinity always gets the parenthesis.

Last edited:
Sorry I was thinking to different things while typing but thanks... hey I solved that problem lol thanks for your help!

What is set notation?

Set notation is a mathematical way of representing a group or collection of objects, numbers, or other entities.

What are the basic symbols used in set notation?

The basic symbols used in set notation are braces { }, which enclose the elements of the set, and the element symbol ∈, which means "belonging to" or "in the set of".

How do you write a set in roster notation?

In roster notation, a set is written as a list of its elements separated by commas and enclosed in braces. For example, the set of even numbers from 1 to 10 can be written as {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}.

What is the universal set?

The universal set is the set containing all possible elements that can be used in a given context. It is often denoted by the symbol Ω or U.

How do you represent the empty set in set notation?

The empty set, also known as the null set, is represented by the symbol ∅ or { }, which contains no elements. It is used to denote a set with no elements in it.