Set R^(2) with the usual vector addition forms an abelian group

In summary, the set R^(2) with the usual vector addition forms an abelian group, and the scalar multiplication is defined as a*x = (ax1, 0). To determine which of the axioms defining a vector space hold for this abelian group, we need to show that the 1st and 2nd distributivity laws, identity elements, and compatibility are all present.
ak123456

Homework Statement

the set R^(2) with the usual vector addition forms an abelian group. For a belongs to R and x=(x1,x2) belongs to R^(2) we put a *x :=(ax1,0),this defines a scalar multiplication R*R^2 ---R^2 (a,x)---a*x.
determine which of the axioms defining a vector space hold for the abelian group R^2 with the scalar multiplication

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a*x1=ax1 but a*x2=0?? It confused me . And how to use an axiom to define it ?

Physics news on Phys.org

ak123456 said:

Homework Statement

the set R^(2) with the usual vector addition forms an abelian group. For a belongs to R and x=(x1,x2) belongs to R^(2) we put a *x :=(ax1,0),this defines a scalar multiplication R*R^2 ---R^2 (a,x)---a*x.
determine which of the axioms defining a vector space hold for the abelian group R^2 with the scalar multiplication

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a*x1=ax1 but a*x2=0?? It confused me . And how to use an axiom to define it ?
You don't "use an axiom to define it"- it is already defined. And "a*x1" doesn't mean anything- a*(x1, x2) is defined as (ax1, 0). You need to show that this still obeys the axioms defining a vector space. What are those axioms?

HallsofIvy said:
You don't "use an axiom to define it"- it is already defined. And "a*x1" doesn't mean anything- a*(x1, x2) is defined as (ax1, 0). You need to show that this still obeys the axioms defining a vector space. What are those axioms?

oh,i see . i have to use ax1 and 0 to show 1st and 2nd distributivity law,identity elements and the compatibility are all exist ?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an abelian group?

An abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. The operation must be commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result.

2. How is an abelian group different from a non-abelian group?

In an abelian group, the operation is commutative, meaning that a*b = b*a for any elements a and b. In a non-abelian group, the operation is not commutative, and the order in which the elements are combined does affect the result.

3. What is the usual vector addition in R^(2)?

The usual vector addition in R^(2) is the operation of adding two vectors by adding their corresponding components. For example, the vector (2,3) added to the vector (4,1) would result in the vector (6,4).

4. How does the associative property apply to an abelian group?

The associative property states that the order in which three or more elements are combined does not affect the result. In an abelian group, this means that (a*b)*c = a*(b*c) for any elements a, b, and c.

5. What is the identity element in an abelian group?

The identity element in an abelian group is the element that, when combined with any other element, results in that element. In R^(2), the identity element for vector addition is the zero vector (0,0), as adding it to any vector results in that same vector.