Set Theory Basic Proof, showing two sets are equal

In summary: That is, there do not exist two integers u and v, not both 0, such that 2u= 3v. Use that to show that an integer that is both 2u and 3v must be 0.
LawdyLawdy
Hello,
I am trying to teach myself set theory...main problem is, as an engineer, mathematical proofs were never exactly stressed in my curriculum. (Scary, right?)

The problem is stated as follows:

"Prove the following,
{x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for an integer y, x=6y}={x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for integers u and v, x=2u and x=3v}"

Z is the set of all integers.
(let's call the left side of the equation set A and the right side set B)
I can't seem to get my head around the "prose" of proofs.

I understand in order to prove a set A is equivalent to set B I need to show they have the exact same members ( A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B and B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A )
I also realize that if x=6y is in A then x=2(3y) and x=3(2y) is in B if you consider 3y and 2y the integers u and v, respectively.

I guess my question would be how to write it in an "acceptable" way and if the way I am going is the correct direction.(that is important too I suppose :p )

Apologies if this is a bit cluttered, this is my first time posting a math question on a forum and am working on getting the hang of it. Thanks in advance though for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
LawdyLawdy said:
Hello,
I am trying to teach myself set theory...main problem is, as an engineer, mathematical proofs were never exactly stressed in my curriculum. (Scary, right?)

"Prove the following,
{x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for an integer y, x=6y}={x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for integers u and v, x=2u and x=3v}"

I understand in order to prove a set A is equivalent to set B I need to show they have the exact same members ( A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B and B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A )
I also realize that if x=6y is in A then x=2(3y) and x=3(2y) is in B if you consider 3y and 2y the integers u and v, respectively.

I guess my question would be how to write it in an "acceptable" way and if the way I am going is the correct direction.(that is important too I suppose :p )

Apologies if this is a bit cluttered, this is my first time posting a math question on a forum and am working on getting the hang of it. Thanks in advance though for any help.

As you point out, you need to show that

[itex]A\subseteq B [/itex] and [itex]B\subseteq A [/itex]

So you need to show two separate things.

To show that [itex]A\subseteq B [/itex], you go to directly to the set theory definition of [itex]A\subseteq B [/itex]; which is:

For all x, if [itex]x \in A[/itex] then [itex]x \in B[/itex]

So assume x is in A, and show that it must be in B; and then assume x is in B, and show it must be in A.

In general, it's always helpful to go directly to the texbook definitions, rather than trying to overthink the problem. In other words we have an intuitive idea of what [itex]A\subseteq B [/itex] means, but it's more effective to go directly to the definition. This is a common pattern in doing proofs.

Re-reading your post, it looks like you're going in the right direction.

Last edited:
LawdyLawdy said:
Hello,

"Prove the following,

Yes, you are correct. To prove [itex]A= B[/itex], for sets, prove both [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] and [itex]B\subseteq A[/itex]. And to prove each of those, start "if [itex]p\in A[/itex]" and use the properties of both A and B to show "therefore [itex]p\in B[/itex]"

Let A= {x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for an integer y, x=6y} and B={x[itex]\in[/itex]Z|for integers u and v, x=2u and x=3v}. If [itex]p\in A[/itex] then x= 6y for some y. Let u= 3y and v= 2y. Then x= 6y= 2(3y)= 2u and x= 6y= 3(2y)= 3v. Therefore [itex]p\in B[/itex] so [itex]A\subset B[/itex]. Now do the other way. That's slightly harder. You will need to use the fact that 2 and 3 are mutually prime.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I prove that two sets are equal?

To prove that two sets are equal, you need to show that they have the same elements. You can do this by using the definition of set equality, which states that two sets are equal if and only if they contain the same elements. This can be shown using an element-wise comparison or by using a proof by contradiction.

2. What is the definition of set equality?

The definition of set equality states that two sets are equal if and only if they contain the same elements. This means that every element in one set must also be present in the other set, and vice versa. If this condition is met, then the sets are equal.

3. Can I use Venn diagrams to show that two sets are equal?

Yes, Venn diagrams can be a helpful tool in visually showing that two sets are equal. If the two sets have the same elements, then their corresponding Venn diagrams will have the same regions shaded, representing the shared elements. However, a Venn diagram alone is not a sufficient proof for set equality.

4. What are some common strategies for proving set equality?

There are several strategies that can be used to prove set equality. One approach is to use an element-wise comparison, where you show that every element in one set is also present in the other set. Another approach is to use a proof by contradiction, where you assume that the two sets are not equal and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. Additionally, you can use set identities and properties to manipulate the sets and show that they are equivalent.

5. Are there any specific rules or laws that apply to proving set equality?

Yes, there are several laws and rules that can be used when proving set equality. These include the commutative, associative, and distributive laws, as well as De Morgan's laws. Additionally, you can use the reflexive, symmetric, and transitive properties of equality to help prove set equality.