1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory - Counting - Binomial Coefficient - Factorials

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1

reenmachine

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A department consists of 5 men and 7 women.From this department you select a committee with 3 men and 2 women.In how many ways can you do this?

2. Relevant equations

Since the "overall set" (the entire department) is composed of both men and women and each has a specific number in the committee , I think I have to split it in half.

I pick 3 men out of 5 men and pick 2 women out of 7 women so:

##\binom{5}{3} \cdot \binom{7}{2} = \frac{5!}{3!(5-3)!} \cdot \frac{7!}{2!(7-2)!} = \frac{5!}{3!2!} \cdot \frac{7!}{2!5!} = \frac{120}{6 \cdot 2} \cdot \frac{5040}{2 \cdot 120} = \frac{120}{12} \cdot \frac{5040}{240} = 10 \cdot 21 = 210##

So 210 ways to form the committee of 3 men and 2 women from the department consisting of 5 men and 7 women.

thoughts on this?

thank you!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks fine.

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3

reenmachine

Gold Member

Thank you!

5. Jul 25, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Without "formulas", you can argue that there are 5 choices for the first man, then 4 choices for the second, and 3 choices for the third- so 5(4)(3)= 60 ways to choose 3 out of 5- in that particular order. Since order does not matter divide by the 3!= 6 ways of ordering three people: 60/6= 10. For the women, there are 7 choices for the first woman then 6 choices for the second- so 7(6)= 42 ways to choose 2 out of 7- again in that particular order. Divide by the 2 different orders to get 42/2= 21 ways to do this. Overall there are (10)(21)= 210 ways to do this.

(Typical sexism- there are more women than men in the department but fewer on the commitee!)

6. Jul 25, 2013 #5

reenmachine

Gold Member

very clear thank you!

Yeah I noticed the sexism when I read it :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted