[Set Theory] Proving Linear Order on a Subset of a Partially Ordered Set

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a countable subset S of a partially ordered set L has an upper bound in L. The participants suggest constructing a chain of elements in S that have an upper bound in L, but note that not all elements in S are necessarily comparable. They also mention that c, defined as greater than or equal to all elements of S, may not necessarily be an upper bound of S. Examples are suggested as a helpful tool in solving the problem.
EstimatedEyes

Homework Statement

Let L be a partially ordered set. Every countable chain in L has an upper bound. Let S be a countable subset of L such that for arbitrary a,b in S there exists a c in S such that a (less-than-or-equal) c and b (less-than-or-equal) c. Prove S has an upper bound in L.

Homework Equations

Definition of linear, partial orders.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the goal is to prove that S is linearly ordered and thus a chain, having an upper bound in L by the problem text. S is clearly a partial order because it is a subset of L. After listing the properties of a partial order, I have no idea how to continue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
S is not a chain in general. So you won't be able to prove that. But try selecting a few elements in S which DO form a chain. This chain will have an upper bound. And if you selected the elements correctly, then the upper bound of the chain, will be an upper bound of S...

Okay, I assume that a,b, and c are the elements to which you are referring. Obviously a and b are comparable with c but I am having trouble showing that it then follows that a is comparable with b. I know it can't be this easy, but I don't completely understand why c is not already an upper bound because it is defined to be greater than or equal to all elements of S. Since S is a subset of L, c must also be an element of L, giving S an upper bound in L. What is wrong with this line of thinking?

EstimatedEyes said:
Okay, I assume that a,b, and c are the elements to which you are referring. Obviously a and b are comparable with c but I am having trouble showing that it then follows that a is comparable with b.

No, a, b and c aren't the elements which I had in mind. The chain is somewhat harder to construct... In fact, nothing guarantees you that a and b are comparable. In fact, it isn't even true!

I know it can't be this easy, but I don't completely understand why c is not already an upper bound because it is defined to be greater than or equal to all elements of S. Since S is a subset of L, c must also be an element of L, giving S an upper bound in L. What is wrong with this line of thinking?

I don't see why it is greater or equal to all elements of S? I only see why it is greater or equal than a and b. But it certeinaly isn't an upper bound of S!

It may help you to think of some explicit examples!

1. What is a partial order?

A partial order is a relation between elements of a set that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. This means that for any elements a, b, and c in the set, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c. However, not all elements need to be related to each other.

2. What is a linear order?

A linear order is a partial order in which every pair of elements are comparable, meaning that either one is related to the other or vice versa. This is also known as a total order. In a linear order, there is only one possible order for any two elements.

3. How do you prove linear order on a subset of a partially ordered set?

To prove linear order on a subset of a partially ordered set, you must show that the subset satisfies all the properties of a linear order. This includes being reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric. You must also show that every pair of elements in the subset are comparable.

4. What is the difference between partial order and linear order?

The main difference between partial order and linear order is that in a partial order, not all elements need to be comparable, while in a linear order, all elements must be comparable. Additionally, a linear order is a partial order, but not all partial orders are linear orders.

5. Can a subset of a partially ordered set have more than one linear order?

Yes, a subset of a partially ordered set can have more than one linear order. This can happen if there are multiple ways to order the elements in the subset while still satisfying the properties of a linear order. However, there will always be one unique linear order that is consistent with the given partial order on the entire set.