Unveiling the Mystery of Thermostat 'Setting': Tips from an Electrical Expert

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
In summary: He just adjusted it to a specific temperature according to your mother's request.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of setting a thermostat, specifically in the context of repairing a hot water geyser. The expert explains that thermostats use bimetallic strips or mechanical mechanisms to sense and adjust temperature, and can be calibrated and adjusted for fine control. The repairman likely just adjusted the thermostat to a specific temperature, rather than repairing any mechanical issue.
rohanprabhu
Recently, my hot water geyser wasn't heating water.. so I called up the electrical guy and he came to repair it. I don't know what he did, since I wasn't home when he repaired it.. my mom said that he 'set' the thermostat at 65 deg. C.

How exactly do you 'set' a thermostat? Since it's just a bi-metallic strip, how can u so finely graduate it to such a setting? and it's not just with the geyser.. even home heaters and ACs use similar kind of thermostats. How are they 'set' to certain temperatures?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bimetal strips normally have an adjustable screw that makes the other side of the contact. You could - if you were bothered - set it by putting it in a pan of hot water at the right temperature and adusting the screw until it just closed.
I imagine commercial ones are (sort-of) calbrated

Mechanical thermostats expand with temperature, changing a mechanical position of an electrical contact. The mechanical position of the contact is pretty well definied by the temperature that is being sensed. So by rotating or moving the whole assembly, you can bias the fixture to make electrical contact at lower or higher temperatures. If you just take the cover off of any thermostatic control, its operation is pretty intuitive.

See if this wikipedia article helps some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermostat

The reason you can get fine adjustment over the thermostat is that the bimetallic strip is coiled, which magnifies the motion created by a change in temperature.

Now if all this repair guy did was set your thermostat, he didn't really repair anything.

What is the purpose of setting a thermostat?

The purpose of setting a thermostat is to control the temperature of a space by adjusting the heating or cooling system.

How do I set a thermostat?

The process of setting a thermostat varies depending on the type of thermostat you have. Generally, you will need to locate the temperature control buttons or switches and use them to adjust the desired temperature.

How does a thermostat work?

A thermostat works by sensing the temperature of a space and sending signals to the heating or cooling system to turn on or off in order to maintain the desired temperature.

What is the recommended temperature to set a thermostat?

The recommended temperature to set a thermostat varies, but generally it is recommended to set the thermostat to 68°F (20°C) during the winter and 78°F (26°C) during the summer for energy efficiency.

Can I program a thermostat?

Yes, many modern thermostats have programmable features that allow you to set a schedule for different temperatures throughout the day. This can help save energy and money on heating and cooling costs.