Setting up an Integral for the area of a surface of revolution

In summary, the conversation is about setting up an integral to find the area of a surface obtained by rotating the curve y=xe-x 1=<x=<3 about the y-axis. The equation S=integral from a to b x 2pix ds is provided, but the attempt at a solution involves solving for x and using substitution, which becomes complicated. The expert advises not to worry about evaluating the integral and points out a typo in the equation.
darkblue

Homework Statement

Set up, but do not evaluate, an integral for the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve y=xe-x 1=<x=<3 about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

S=integral from a to b x 2pix ds where ds=sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried to do is solve for the equation in terms of x, and then use the equation above. I figured it makes sense to solve for x since we are rotating the curve about the y-axis. I wasn't able to solve for x, so then I tried to use this method in my textbook where you leave x as it is, and then substitute u for whatever is within the square root sign in such a way that you can eliminate x. I tried to do that, but its turning into a mess since you get 1+(e-x-xe-x)2 underneath the square root and I don't really see how substitution could be used here...any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is set up the integral. Don't worry about trying to evaluate this integral.

So does this mean that the way I have set it up is correct? I had a feeling it wasn't right because I couldn't see what steps I'd take next in the event that I had to solve it.

Seems to be OK, but I'm a little rusty on these surface area integrals. You have an extra x in what you typed, though, right after b. Did you mean for that to be there?
darkblue said:
S=integral from a to b x 2pix ds where ds=sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)dx

oops, i meant to put a "*" for multiplication.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis. Examples of surfaces of revolution include spheres, cylinders, and cones.

2. How do you set up an integral for the area of a surface of revolution?

To set up an integral for the area of a surface of revolution, you need to use the formula A = 2π∫f(x)√(1+(f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the function representing the curve being rotated and f'(x) is its derivative. This formula is also known as the "shell method."

3. What is the difference between the "disk method" and the "shell method" for finding the area of a surface of revolution?

The disk method involves dividing the surface of revolution into thin, circular slices, finding the area of each slice, and then summing them up. The shell method, on the other hand, involves dividing the surface into thin, cylindrical shells, finding the surface area of each shell, and then summing them up.

4. Can the integral for the area of a surface of revolution be set up for any type of curve?

Yes, the integral can be set up for any continuous curve. However, for curves that are not functions (i.e. do not pass the vertical line test), a different method, such as the "washer method," must be used to find the area of the surface of revolution.

5. How does the number of rotations affect the area of a surface of revolution?

The number of rotations does not affect the area of a surface of revolution. As long as the curve being rotated and the axis of rotation remain the same, the area will not change regardless of how many times the curve is rotated.