Shaft radius from shear modulus

In summary, the individual is having trouble finding the shear stress for steel, but can easily find the shear modulus. They are trying to determine the angle of twist for a motor shaft and are wondering if setting it at a low angle is acceptable. They also want to know how others determine the shaft radius using the shear modulus. Their problem lies in finding material properties for the steel they are using, specifically the maximum angle of twist before reaching a plastic zone. They are using ordinary low/medium carbon steels and can assume shear yield stress to be 0.6 times tensile yield stress. They are wondering what grade of steel they are actually using, and suggest searching for "Shear Strength" to find the shear stress for steel.
fahraynk
Hi. I am trying to determine the size of a shaft for a motor I am designing. The thing is, I can't seem to find shear stress alone for steel. I can find shear modulus easy though... But I don't really know the angle of twist. I know torque and I am trying to figure out radius.

Should I just set angle of twist really low and get it that way? What is a reasonable angle of twist for a motor shaft... 0.5 degrees? I was just going to find similar torque motors and plug their shaft radius into the torsion equation but I would like to know how they determine it from the Shear modulus from scratch. I am guessing guess the angle...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to be clear - is your problem with doing the calculations or with finding material properties for the steel that you are using ?

Nidum said:
Just to be clear - is your problem with doing the calculations or with finding material properties for the steel that you are using ?

It is with finding material properties. I never thought about angle of twist for a rotor shaft. I don't really know what acceptable margins of this are. I was trying to find a maximum shear stress of various types of steel but could only find a shear modulus. To use the shear modulus you need to know the angle of twist (I think).
What metric would tell me the maximum angle of twist before the shaft reaches a plastic zone? That way I could plug that angle into the shear modulus to get the maximum shear stress.

fahraynk said:
I can't seem to find shear stress alone for steel.
Try "Shear Strength".

For ordinary low/medium carbon steels and approximate calculations you can assume shear yield stress to be 0.6 times tensile yield stress .

What grade of steel are you actually using ?

1. What is the relationship between shaft radius and shear modulus?

The shaft radius and shear modulus have an inverse relationship. This means that as the shaft radius increases, the shear modulus decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does the shear modulus affect the strength of a shaft?

The shear modulus is a measure of a material's resistance to shear stress. A higher shear modulus indicates a stronger material, so a higher shear modulus in a shaft would result in a stronger and more rigid shaft.

3. Can the shear modulus be used to determine the maximum load a shaft can handle?

Yes, the shear modulus can be used to calculate the maximum load a shaft can handle. This is because the shear modulus is a measure of a material's stiffness, and a stiffer material can handle a higher load before experiencing failure.

4. How does the shaft material affect the shear modulus?

The shear modulus is a material property, meaning it is specific to the material of the shaft. Different materials have different shear modulus values, so the choice of shaft material can greatly impact the shear modulus and, consequently, the strength of the shaft.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the shear modulus of a shaft?

Aside from the material, other factors that can affect the shear modulus of a shaft include temperature, strain rate, and the presence of defects or imperfections in the material. These can all alter the stiffness and strength of the shaft, and therefore its shear modulus.