Relative angle of twist between ends of the shaft

  • Thread starter Thread starter cherry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Shaft
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 3K views
cherry
Messages
25
Reaction score
6
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: A 10-kW engine drives a solid round steel shaft 1 m long by means of a V belt and pulley at the midpoint of the shaft. At one end of the shaft 7 kW is removed and at the other end 3 kW is removed. The shaft diameter is 15 mm and it operates at 1000 rpm. Assuming that no power is lost in the V-belt drive, determine:
a) the relative angle of twist between the ends of the shaft
b)the maximum shear stress in the shaft

IMG_10FACCCE30D5-1.jpeg


I am unsure about question 4a especially regarding my phi equation.
I set the L = 0.5 m as I had interpreted the question to say that the shafts are twisted from the midpoint.
However, shoud I have used L = 1 m instead?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cherry said:
However, shoud I have used L = 1 m instead?
No. The length of shaft from the input torque to the output torque is 0.5 m on each side.
You show the numbers in the equation, but not the equation you will use, before you insert the numbers.