Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar Questions About Quantum Mechanics (Schwarz Inequality)

1. Dec 24, 2012 #1
    Hello there,

Im studying QM with Shankar's book.

I'm wrestling myself trough the linear algebra now and I have some questiosn.

Let me start with this one:

aajHi.jpg

I have absolutely no idea where this is coming from or what does it mean.

I don't know how to multiply a ket with an inner product...

Thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2012 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Shankar Questions About Quantum Mechanics

This is the completeness relation for a bunch of vectors, usually a complete orthonormalized set of Hilbert-space basis vectors, [itex]|i\rangle[/itex]. These usually occur as eigenvectors of an self-adjoint operator.

Usually you need a slight extension of this concept, namely the case for unbounded essentially self-adjoint operators which can have a continuous spectrum (like the position "eigenkets", which are no Hilbert-space vectors but belong to a larger space, i.e., the dual space of the domain of the position and momentum operator). In this case your sum goes over into an integral
    [tex]|V \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; |\vec{x} \rangle \langle \vec{x}|V \rangle.[/tex]
    Sometimes also the case occurs, where an operator has both a discrete and a continuous spectrum, e.g., the Hamiltonian for the motion of a particle in the Coulomb potential of another heavy charged particle.

4. Dec 24, 2012 #3

To expand on vanhees's statement a bit, when we say "completeness," we are talking about a basis (usually an eigenbasis of a self-adjoint operator) for a particular vector space V. If we have a complete basis for a particular space (in this case, [itex]|i\rangle[/itex] collectively spans the vector space V), then we can express any arbitrary vector v (or function f if we're talking about a function space) as a sum of its components multiplied by the basis vectors. For example, if we're working in [itex]\Re^3[/itex], we can choose as a basis the standard basis vectors: [itex]e_1=(1,0,0)[/itex], [itex]e_2=(0,1,0)[/itex], and [itex]e_3=(0,0,1)[/itex]. In Dirac notation, these would typically be [itex]|1\rangle[/itex], [itex]|2\rangle[/itex], [itex]|3\rangle[/itex].

Now given an arbitrary vector in [itex]\Re^3[/itex], we can write it as a sum of [itex]|1\rangle, |2\rangle, |3\rangle[/itex] with the proper coefficients in front of each basis vector. For example, the vector [itex]u=(2,1,0)[/itex] can be expanded in the form [itex]|u\rangle = \sum_{i=1}^{3} | i \rangle \langle i | u \rangle [/itex] as [itex]| u \rangle = 2 | 1 \rangle + 1 | 2 \rangle + 0 | 3 \rangle [/itex].

The term [itex]\langle i | u \rangle [/itex] in the sum is the inner product of the basis vector with the arbitrary vector u. This inner product picks out the component of u in the direction of that particular i basis vector. Now this inner product is just a scalar value. The additional [itex]| i \rangle[/itex] is there because we're attempting to expand a vector as a sum of basis vectors multiplied by their respective components in u for each basis vector. So when you multiply an inner product by a ket, you're just scaling a ket. That's all.

I hope this helps!

5. Dec 24, 2012 #4

Thanks for the explanation, but it's actually a bit too difficult.
    I never saw Hilbert spaces.

I was just wondering what happens if you multipy |i> with <i|V>

Do you get <i| i | V > ?

That is not clear to me.

@ jmcelve, I'll read your post later ( christmas dinner) anyway still thanks for the help.

6. Dec 24, 2012 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

merry christmas, hohoho

<i|V> is just a number (Since you are taking an inner product). So then to multiply by <i| just means that you have <i| times by a number

7. Dec 25, 2012 #6

it is just like writing a vector in terms of it's basis.since the basis are in general infinite in number,it is called hillbert space.

8. Dec 28, 2012 #7

Thx for the help guys.

However now I'm stuck with this proof:

SenOx.jpg

Aplpy axion 1(i), they say, but there is no such axion labelled that way, so I don't even know what axion to apply.

If you can explain 1.3.18 a bit more, because I completely do not understand it, it would be great.

Sorry for the questions ( it's no homework, it's self-study)

Thx in advance.

9. Dec 28, 2012 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

While not labeled as such, I assume they mean the axioms bullet-listed on page 8 (in my copy). The first one is skew-symmetry, which is what is invoked here.

10. Dec 28, 2012 #9

But why are there 3 terms in the first step and 4 terms in the second step @1.3.18

pOsyZ.jpg

Why is this not legit?

11. Dec 28, 2012 #10

Doc Al

What 3 terms?

12. Dec 28, 2012 #11

next to <Z|Z> ?

13. Dec 28, 2012 #12

Doc Al

I see 4 terms, not 3.

14. Dec 28, 2012 #13

I really don't understand 1.3.18 Doc Al.

Proof in Griffiths is totally different and that, I understand, but this one in Shankar, not a single clue :(.

I dont even understand how you get the <Z|Z> out of 1.3.17, sigh.

15. Dec 28, 2012 #14
    Proof Schwarz-Inequality help

Hi there,

I'm reading Shankar, but I'm really stuck on this one:

http://i.imgur.com/SenOx.jpg

The whole equations @ 1.3.18 are complete gibbrish to me.

Maybe somebody can explain this?

16. Dec 28, 2012 #15

mfb

2016 Award

Re: Proof Schwarz-Inequality help

In the first step, 1.3.17 is used to replace Z, and the second step uses linearity (more precise: sesquilinearity) of the scalar product. With the help of 1.3.19, you can see that this has to be real and at least 0.

17. Dec 28, 2012 #16

And why is this wrong:

pOsyZ.jpg

What is <Z| ?

18. Dec 28, 2012 #17

Doc Al

The first line just expresses <Z|Z> in terms of the what Z is defined as in 1.3.17. Then just multiply it out. You get four terms (not three--I don't know where you got three from). Do you understand where each of the four terms come from?

19. Dec 28, 2012 #18

The second step I got (just worked it out), I know get u have to complex conjugate it.

the first step I dont get, how u get <Z|

20. Dec 28, 2012 #19

Now I understand where the 4 vectors come from. It was the formula of antilinearity :)

But I dont know how u get <Z|Z>

I think <Z| = http://i.imgur.com/pOsyZ.jpg ( second line)

I know i'm doing something impossible here, but not what.
    Working with brakets first time ever, is very very confusing.

In other words: I think you have got to reverse the left Z in <Z|Z> , and tthus also the equation in 1.3.17 , because its a bra, while the right Z is a ket.

21. Dec 28, 2012 #20

Doc Al

Moderator's note: I merged the two threads. (Once is enough!)​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook