Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 329K views
Physics news on Phys.org
1675046597619.png
 
  • Like
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, Borg, BillTre and 2 others
That's a very unusual birthmark.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and BillTre
You crapped on my car for the last time dude!
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
strangerep said:
And...? Did Willy actually get to have dinner with Jonathan Livingston Seagull?
White poop in eye -- Check!

Orca -- knocks over his King... :wink:
 
Grunt, Bambi, Spud, and Tater. My ex and I had 5 acres for 25 years. Having animals was certainly fun... a lot of work and expense, but fun!

1675210131884.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and collinsmark
Ivan Seeking said:

And now talk yourself out of the accusation of discrimination if you do not support your husky's decision!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Ivan Seeking
fresh_42 said:
And now talk yourself out of the accusation of discrimination if you do not support your husky's decision!
My Dad always said bears were just like big dogs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
BillTre said:
My Dad always said bears were just like big dogs.
I dunno... Did you see the size of those claws on that cub? :oops:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
I dunno... Did you see the size of those claws on that cub? :oops:
Looked pretty fun playing with the dogs.
Just watch out for Mama.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and berkeman
BillTre said:
My Dad always said bears were just like big dogs.
Well, same family. However, I'd prefer foxes and seals over bears from the family.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
I dunno... Did you see the size of those claws on that cub? :oops:
That caught my attention too! Be careful puppies!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
That caught my attention too! Be careful puppies!
Horses have bigger claws (hooves), just not as many and not a sharp.
Could still hurt.
 
BillTre said:
Horses have bigger claws (hooves), just not as many and not a sharp.
Could still hurt.
Oh yes! We had a horse for a time, and it nearly killed me. I was walking behind him which was normally okay. But one day, just when I was directly behind him, a tractor in an adjacent field backfired and the horse kicked with both hind feet. I had just turned my head towards the horse. His hooves just barely missed my head - one on each side! It was so close I could hear them go past my ears.

I came very close to dying or sustaining serious injuries three times in the 25 years we had the place. But that one probably scared me the most. It was sooooooooo close!
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
I was trying to find a photo of the horse but I can't remember where I put them at the moment. I did find a photo of some friends who lived down by my office [on our property]. Some years were crazy. They didn't stick around too long but for a couple of months our place got to be like a skunk minefield. But neither I, my ex, or the dogs ever got sprayed... that I can recall.

1675382903013.jpeg


Cats and skunks like each other. I even saw one of our cats sleeping under my truck, with a skunk. So eventually the cats invited the skunks to come have dinner with us. I found this guy in the kitchen at 3AM.

1675383019327.jpeg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
The only animal I've ever run away from in the woods was a skunk. I was sneaking in to an area for a hunt on my own before sunrise, and saw him/her in my brief red light flash on a narrow trail as I walked in.

I have retreated and walked around bears and bear cubs in similar situations, but never run...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
Cats and skunks like each other. [...]
So... all those Pepe Le Pew cartoons are just seriously defamatory bad press?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
So... all those Pepe Le Pew cartoons are just seriously defamatory bad press?
Haha, I have long suspected that the creator of Pepe Le Pew knew about real cats and skunks.

Another one I learned is that horses love goats, and visa versa. There was [reportedly] even a famous racehorse that would get depressed and wouldn't run if he didn't have his goat. It is common for horse people to get goats for their horses. We eventually gave our goats away and that is who took them. And the goats were each going to have their own horse.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Another one I learned is that horses love goats, and visa versa.[...] And the goats were each going to have their own horse.
Maybe the horses perceive the goats as very unfortunate foals in serious need of TLC?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
Maybe the horses perceive the goats as very unfortunate foals in serious need of TLC?
I have often wondered if they see goats as baby horses, or perhaps something more like a pet. I suppose an expert in animal behavior might be able to classify the nature of their interactions.
 
For many years I practiced and practiced, and eventually got very good at approaching wild deer on our property. On a couple of occasions, I got very close. The most dramatic moment is when I got this one to come running to me! It turns out that baby deer speak blink, just like cats. To a deer, apparently several quick blinks means "Let's play!"

1675391812576.jpeg


But mama didn't like that one bit!!! She came running over and got right in my face. I thought I was in biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig trouble!!! She had me backed up against my office door. But I just talked very softly and calmly and explained that I wasn't going to hurt her baby. After perhaps 5 very long seconds she turned about and walked away.
 
berkeman said:
Okay. Horses bad. Bears bad. Doggies good. Got it. :smile:
Big dogs in the wrong hands also bad. In fact anything with sharp teeth and a decent bit force that can move faster than a human in the hands of an incompetent human? Bad.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
Okay. Horses bad. Bears bad. Doggies good. Got it. :smile:
And some alligators are really bad. They even developed sign-making skills!
TkjJMGg8NtejnfHSNsp-782Uy2H3GTE_Dkxw4r2RaG0.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, collinsmark, dlgoff and 4 others
pinball1970 said:
Big dogs in the wrong hands also bad. In fact anything with sharp teeth and a decent bit force that can move faster than a human in the hands of an incompetent human? Bad.
Liger bad!

om%2fgen%2f1351337%2fthumbs%2fo-HERCULES-LIGER-900.jpg
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre