Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers
- Thread starter micromass
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
BillTre said:
I have seen an experiment that showed that they teach their offspring even without an existing example. A biologist showed up in yellow oilskin and annoyed the crows repeatedly. Then they showed up again to the new generation of crows without ever doing anything to them. However, the next generation of crows recognized the biologist as a danger.
They also tested their favorite fast foods in a park in Paris. The crows preferred McDonald's and left other brands untouched. Maybe because there were usually more leftovers, those forgotten fries, who knows?
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
BillTre said:
Very cool!
One of my cats was heavily into renovation (he was a very curious cat).
He renovated my living room by tearing away floor moldings.
And once he kept my mother awake at night when he was trying to remove the cover to a floor drain in her bathroom. He didn't give up until he succeeded.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Not sure what's the strangest thing here.
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'm normally not doing this since it is only clickbait to bring ads to your attention, so consider yourselves being warned. For those of you who do not care, be prepared to have a good laugh:
https://timelesslife.info/a-man-rep...ntal-quality-with-the-perfect-note-of-his-own
(Brooks Ferebee once responded to a similar story: "I don't think it's true, but its charm is that it could be true.")
https://timelesslife.info/a-man-rep...ntal-quality-with-the-perfect-note-of-his-own
(Brooks Ferebee once responded to a similar story: "I don't think it's true, but its charm is that it could be true.")
Last edited:
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
Not a picture, but a clip, with sound... unusual sound... and funny.
Have you ever wondered what caterpillars sound like when they feast on leaves?
Find out here (nom nom nom!
):
(recorded with a contact mic)
Have you ever wondered what caterpillars sound like when they feast on leaves?
Find out here (nom nom nom!
(recorded with a contact mic)
- 20,819
- 28,467
BillTre said:When I was a kid, I saw a mockingbird do this to a cat.
This mockingbird was known in the neighborhood for aggressively defending areas around it nest.
When it suck up on a cat like this, the cat was so startled it did a back flip!
I saw this Japanese crow that learned to read the traffic lights for pedestrians to crack its nuts through cars and harvest them on a green light for pedestrians. I already knew that they understood the concept of lying which requires empathy. Ever since, they cannot surprise me anymore.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,708
Crow story:
Once I was biking home from the university.
Close to home there are a lot of walnut trees which the birds and squirrels like.
They usually wait for car to crush them in the road, but not always.
While I was slowly going down this block, I saw two crows.
One would pick up a walnut and drop it from maybe 30 or 40 feet onto the road to break it.
However, the second crow was trying to get to the broken nut before the one that dropped it.
Therefore the dropper was flying around and scheming in a way that it could get to the nut first in the event that the nut broke.
The walnut was not breaking so they repeated this several times.
Once I was biking home from the university.
Close to home there are a lot of walnut trees which the birds and squirrels like.
They usually wait for car to crush them in the road, but not always.
While I was slowly going down this block, I saw two crows.
One would pick up a walnut and drop it from maybe 30 or 40 feet onto the road to break it.
However, the second crow was trying to get to the broken nut before the one that dropped it.
Therefore the dropper was flying around and scheming in a way that it could get to the nut first in the event that the nut broke.
The walnut was not breaking so they repeated this several times.
- 20,819
- 28,467
BillTre said:Crow story:
Once I was biking home from the university.
Close to home there are a lot of walnut trees which the birds and squirrels like.
They usually wait for car to crush them in the road, but not always.
While I was slowly going down this block, I saw two crows.
One would pick up a walnut and drop it from maybe 30 or 40 feet onto the road to break it.
However, the second crow was trying to get to the broken nut before the one that dropped it.
Therefore the dropper was flying around and scheming in a way that it could get to the nut first in the event that the nut broke.
The walnut was not breaking so they repeated this several times.
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
The 'thing' has what looks to 5 legs.Bystander said:Decent, not great, but, decent photo-shop/chop.
AI generated pictures are cropping up here too often.
Nature has its own beauty.
Admin
- 69,783
- 25,631
Not exactly an animal picture (except for the little kit down in the corner of the video), but very nice care by the folks taking care of this little fox...
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nat...p-as-fox-to-care-for-an-orphaned-kit/3480475/
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nat...p-as-fox-to-care-for-an-orphaned-kit/3480475/
docnet
- 796
- 487
Serval cats are so cool :) The little dog, not so much.
docnet
- 796
- 487
Cat with a deep voice.
docnet
- 796
- 487
The first video is of a North American opossum (also called Virginia opossum) and the second video is of an Australian possum (without the o). They are awfully shy creatures.
