Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
fresh_42 said:
Now that I think of it, your 3 second rule wouldn't work on our highways. No chance.

My memory of the German Autobahn is that there are three lanes:

Right lane: Pretty chill, but still quite fast.
Edit: The lane for trucks, busses and older drivers.

Center lane: Faster.
Edit: The usual lane for most cars.

Left lane: Are you kidding me? Where's the fire?
Edit: In this lane we find occasional appearances of police cars and ambulances going at high speeds. And people with fast cars and/or in a real hurry. And the occasional mad scientist who tries to reach an orbit around the Earth by car.

:smile:

That is, if my memory serves me; @fresh_42 maybe can correct me if I remember wrong.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
My memory of the German Autobahn is that there are three lanes:

Right lane: Pretty chill, but still quite fast.
You have another kind of stress on the right lane. It is meanwhile so full of trucks, bumper to bumper, all at their allowed maximal speed (plus minus 1km/h which drives you mad when they overtake each other), that you have to plan exits miles ahead!
DennisN said:
Center lane: Faster.
Here is where war starts. Some feel the need to "educate" others. I can tell you: 2 meters at 180 km/h is really close. And that was only to signal me that I had to leave the left lane earlier in the other one's mind.
DennisN said:
Left lane: Are you kidding me? Where's the fire?

:smile:
This is as long as no problem until some idiot from the center lane crawls over ignoring the fire alarm.

In the US, you become a squinter because you have to read hundreds of texts all the time instead of following international traffic sign conventions. They write and write and write. Either you learn to squint or pay a lot of tickets.

In Germany, you have to squint if you use the left lane because you constantly have to watch the idiots on the right, and the guy with the headlight flasher behind you.
 
berkeman said:
2 seconds of stopping distance is more practical.
I learned "Only a fool breaks the two second rule". It takes about two seconds to say, so doubles as a check that you're sticking to it.
 
morrobay said:
You really are better off programing your self to hit the deer. https://www.thesilverlining.com/safety-tips/deer-vs.-car-collisions
I'm aware that generally you shouldn't swerve. I'm probably a bit differently wired than most drivers because I'm constantly thinking about where my escape points are when I'm driving. Swerving off the road or into oncoming traffic doesn't qualify as an escape point. :oldwink:

I'm also aware of the torque forces that would occur if I did impact something during a swerve which is why I keep my speed down in the early morning. It's also why I am less likely to swerve when I'm in traffic.
 
_nc_ohc=e3whuuwZOo8AX_yoQWT&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-1.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Rive, BillTre, phinds and 1 other person
Quiz Question: When you see a cute baby animal, of a large and dangerous animal, running toward you, what should you do?
 
For reference, the only animals I've ever run away from in the woods (I usually am armed) are a skunk and a baby bear...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BillTre
berkeman said:
For reference, the only animals I've ever run away from in the woods (I usually am armed) are a skunk and a baby bear...
Well, bear cubs are rarely alone and mama bear is definitely dangerous, and - unfortunately - skunks haven't signed the Geneva Protocol that forbids chemical weapons. The chances to meet a baby elephant in the US are pretty manageable.
 
Moose and Squirrel Bison babies would also be good to avoid.
 
BillTre said:
Moose and Squirrel Bison babies would also be good to avoid.
And white bunnies as we all know.
 
fresh_42 said:
Come on over and practice! I have heard that there are travel agencies that offer visits to Germany only to drive on our highways.

I remember when I came back from the US, I tried to drive the same way and obeyed the rules - for two days. I was a moving obstacle. On day three I decided to become a comoving observer again.
Most drivers on the M1 near where I live do indeed keep roughly to the speed limit, since there are many radar traps. The problem is more about large trucks that insist on driving ridiculously close behind me. I wish someone would invent radar devices that could detect such people not maintaining a reasonable gap.
 
berkeman said:
Quiz Question: When you see a cute baby animal, of a large and dangerous animal, running toward you, what should you do?
Look around for its mum. And/or whatever it's running away from.
 
Ibix said:
Look around for its mum. And/or whatever it's running away from.
But what if its mum is a short distance behind you, and the baby is actually running towards her ?

I'd say get your weapon ready to fire -- you might only get one chance... :oldfrown:
(Have you seen "The Revenant"?)
 
strangerep said:
I'd say get your weapon ready to fire -- you might only get one chance... :oldfrown:
(Have you seen "The Revenant"?)
I know exactly what you mean :smile: .
I loved the movie. Occasionally very bloody and violent, but a great movie.
 
Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.23.03 AM.png


Esox is the group of fish that contains pikes and pike-like fish.
These are teeth in the mouth, but not on the jaws.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and DennisN
Ibix said:
Look around for its mum. And/or whatever it's running away from.
Move sideways quickly. That gives you the best chance of not encountering mama bear, and keeping the little bearlet from still heading at you. Keep your head on a swivel...
 
The lovely raven Loki:

Personal space and the Gwah machine!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and fresh_42
I came across this Facebook group today -- some pretty amazing pictures of these majestic birds...

1700610189059.png
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I came across this Facebook group today -- some pretty amazing pictures of these majestic birds...

View attachment 335917

fresh_42 said:
Yes, I realized that a bit later. The claws are awful.
Much better than the "eagle in the snow" ... ghastly.
 
pinball1970 said:

Superb photo opportunities there with such calm and unafraid birds! :smile: