Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
Physics news on Phys.org
 
Attachments
  • 1719703118395.png
    1719703118395.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, fresh_42 and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Wait, I always have to look up geographic names in English ...

... Corsica, hence France.
Ah, in the Mediterranean. Not even close to India (where cows are revered, I believe). :smile:
 
berkeman said:
Ah, in the Mediterranean. Not even close to India (where cows are revered, I believe). :smile:
Looks more like calves.
 
IMG_20240705_080949.jpg

Nearly stepped on this little fellow (lady?) this morning. I gently encouraged it away from the middle of the footpath after taking the photo.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, fresh_42, BillTre and 1 other person
I like these little ciona guys.



The mouth is at the top.
The basket-like structure below it is the pharynx with gill slits used for filter feeding. This is equivalent to the vertebrate pharynx gill slits in vertebrates (embryonic structures in some vertebrates, like us).
 
Last edited:
"Yeah, I ate the whole pan of lasagna. What're you gonna do about it?"

IMG_0524.jpeg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, DennisN, Rive and 4 others
Little friend we found at the local hardware store…
IMG_3292.jpeg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, DennisN, jtbell and 2 others
symbolipoint said:
@Flyboy
Interesting! It looks like a tomato horned work on italian parsley. But no horn present or seen on the worm.
Swallowtail.
 
Bystander is correct. Swallowtail. My girlfriend and I found one last year the same way at the same store and took it home, and got an enclosure for it. Turned out to be a female Black Swallowtail.
 
Follow-up on the caterpillar…
IMG_3331.jpeg
IMG_3335.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Rive, DennisN and 2 others
We have new neighbors across the street.

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Rive, collinsmark and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
xsKDpkQMEB4ihNwfgNCh23-650-80.jpg.webp
The kind of creature which implies the involvement of some evil wizards (in bad mood) o0)
 
fresh_42 said:
xsKDpkQMEB4ihNwfgNCh23-650-80.jpg.webp
This is genuinely meme worthy material 😂

"Are you messing with me? Nobody's messing with me!"
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and DennisN