1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM question (Is my method correct?)

Tags:
  1. Feb 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle P is performing simple harmonic motion with amplitude 0.25m. During each complete
    oscillation, P moves with a speed that is less than or equal to half of its maximum speed for 4/3 seconds.
    Find the angular frequency of P

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I split 4/3 into two portions, the right and left side. Since both are symmetrical, information about left side will be same as information for right side.

Now 2/3s is the time the particle spend with velocity < 1/2 wx in one side of motion.
    So
    Time Spent = Time required to achieve max - time required to achieve 1/2 of max
    $$ \frac{2}{3} = \omega^{-1} (\sin^{-1}(\frac{Max~V}{Max~V})-\sin^{-1}(\frac{1/2~of~Max~V}{Max~V})) $$
    $$ \frac{2}{3} = \omega^{-1} (\sin^{-1} 1 - \sin^{-1} 0.5) $$
    $$ \omega = \frac{\pi}{2} $$
    Note:- The answer is correct

Now the problem I realized it, even though my answer is coming correct but in my opinion, my method is not correct. The reason is I have calculated the time required by the particle to go from centre to the 1/2 speed points which makes no sense.
    So can you tell me whether my method is correct and if not what is the correct method?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

If you draw a sine and check what fraction of the period the absolute value is < 0.5 the answer is 1/3 .
    So 1/3 of a period corresponds to 4/3 s. Thereby : a full period is 4 s, hence ##\omega = \pi/2## as you 'found'.
    Don't agree: make a drawing.

4. Feb 13, 2017 #3
    How did you work out the value 1/3?

5. Feb 13, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I looked at the drawing I made :smile:

6. Feb 13, 2017 #5
    Î made a drawing but how did you infer the value fo 1/3?

7. Feb 13, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

## [0,\pi/6] + [5\pi/6, 7\pi/6] + [11\pi/6, 2\pi] ## totals ##4\pi/6##. And ##4\pi/6 /(2\pi) = 1/3##

upload_2017-2-13_17-26-40.png

8. Feb 13, 2017 #7
    Oh okay thanks

9. Feb 13, 2017 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted