1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shock absorber/Suspension advice (bike project)

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    After reading an article a few weeks ago about a man who had made a bicycle with a triangular & pentagonal wheel & started doing some reading on the shapes.

Made a model of it but would like to try & make a full size one as we realised that it needs some parts that I couldnt make out of plywood in a little model.

Been thinking how to make it stable & came up with the idea of putting a roller on top of the wheel which is always in contact & fixed to the headstock. This will move the front of the bike up & down.

Next, the bike forks would be mounted on a hinge allowing free movement. I would weld some sort of shock absorber inbetween the fixed roller & the hinged forks which I would aim to make to be able to counteract the up & down motion of the wheel/frame if it is possible.

Any ideas whether this concept might work & any ideas for a shock absorber would be appeciated as I have no expecience with this sort of thing.

Currently doing AS physics in college & my teacher challenged me to make a model which has made me want to make a real one so I can try & overcome the problems.

Starting work on how to make the back stay level now as the article & pictures didnt give much of an insight.

Want something good to put on my personal statement too as I am applying for a physics degree this year.

If I could get it made, the aim then would be to put some dynamos on the wheels to charge a powerpack & make some sort of dashboard with lights, speedo etc on haha! Really getting into the subject & want to try some projects.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks alot

James

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2
    Can you post or link to some sketches or photos?

A conventional "shock absorber" will not counteract movement. It will only dampen sudden movement.

4. Jun 13, 2009 #3
    Any shock absorber wastes energy. In the case of those funny wheels, it'll be a LOT of energy. You'll be sweating hard after the first 100 meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook