Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest wavelenght emmited by a black body

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    what is the shortest and longest wavelenght that has experimentally observed for a black body?

Additoinally what are the theoretical limits?

I know it's a hard one,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

all depends on the temperature of the blackbody....

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Referring to the Planck formula for blackbody radiation there is no shortest wavelength, the spectrum u(λ) is nonzero for arbitrary short wavelength λ > 0. But of course the probability to observe arbitary short wavelengths is arbitrary small.

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    I agree with Tom, I would have thought it all depends on our detection abilities.
    To detect a very long wave we would require the detector to be at a temperature less than that of the source. To detect a very short wave we would require a detector that would somehow interact with the extremely high energy waves, now this is tricky since they would 'fly' right through.
    Hence experimental observations of long/short waves depends simply on are ability to detect them... I feel like Im just rewording Tom. :)

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5
    Thank you, yes what I was looking four.

of course blcack body depends on temperature however my question was if there whas a limit to it. Ineterestingly enough I found the answer to my question thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook