Shortest wavelenght emmited by a black body

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
AkInfinity
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
what is the shortest and longest wavelength that has experimentally observed for a black body?

Additoinally what are the theoretical limits?

I know it's a hard one,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Referring to the Planck formula for blackbody radiation there is no shortest wavelength, the spectrum u(λ) is nonzero for arbitrary short wavelength λ > 0. But of course the probability to observe arbitary short wavelengths is arbitrary small.
 
I agree with Tom, I would have thought it all depends on our detection abilities.
To detect a very long wave we would require the detector to be at a temperature less than that of the source. To detect a very short wave we would require a detector that would somehow interact with the extremely high energy waves, now this is tricky since they would 'fly' right through.
Hence experimental observations of long/short waves depends simply on are ability to detect them... I feel like I am just rewording Tom. :)
 
Thank you, yes what I was looking four.

of course blcack body depends on temperature however my question was if there whas a limit to it. Ineterestingly enough I found the answer to my question thanks