Should a physics major take general chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the speaker, a physics major, should take general chemistry 2, which is not required at their college. The conversation also touches on the content of general chemistry 1 and the potential benefits of taking general chemistry 2. The experts suggest considering one's interests and other courses available before making a decision. They also emphasize the importance of developing writing and lab skills, which can be gained from a general chemistry lab.
astroman707
I’ve already taken intro chemistry with a lab, and general chemistry 1. Unlike most universities, my college doesn’t require chemistry for physics majors. Should I take general chemistry 2? Would it really benefit me, or should I spend my time elsewhere?
Edit: I’m referring to the standard general chemistry curriculum used in the U.S.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you mention the syllabus for general chemistry 2?

Wrichik Basu said:
Can you mention the syllabus for general chemistry 2?
I actually don’t know. It’s the standard general chemistry curriculum that's used in the U.S. It’s often a prerequisite for organic chemistry and physical chemistry.

Wrichik Basu said:
What topics are covered in general chemistry 1?
Lewis structures, molecular orbital theory, light and matter, reactions, stoichiometry, ideal gases/real gases, phases, molecular shapes/VSEPR theory, polarity of molecules, intermolecular forces, acids and bases.

astroman707 said:
I’ve already taken intro chemistry with a lab, and general chemistry 1. Unlike most universities, my college doesn’t require chemistry for physics majors. Should I take general chemistry 2? Would it really benefit me, or should I spend my time elsewhere?
Edit: I’m referring to the standard general chemistry curriculum used in the U.S.
YES.

If you like it, take it. It will be interesting... helpful may be a stretch. If you don't it definitely won't be detrimental in any way.

astroman707 said:
<<Emphasis added>> Your question needs to be placed within the context of where your interests lie and what else you could take instead of Gen Chem 2. For example, if you were interested in pursuing condensed matter/solid-state/materials physics, more chem would be useful. But you just posted another thread in which you stated you want to pursue computational astrophysics. In which case, something else would probably be more useful.

Likes Wrichik Basu
It is required of a Physics major in many schools. But there may be good reason why it is not at your institution. Perhaps there is enough overlap between the content of General Chemistry 2 and other courses, that it is not needed.

Of course, there may be some specialties within Physics where taking it would still be advisable.

The more time you can spend working in a lab the better, especially if it has high standards for writing reports. Writing skills are really lacking among college students these days so a gen chem lab is a good way to build that skill. Doing experiments is good too just for refining your experimental skills as well. You should sign up for it.

Likes symbolipoint
Marisa5 said:
The more time you can spend working in a lab the better, especially if it has high standards for writing reports. Writing skills are really lacking among college students these days so a gen chem lab is a good way to build that skill. Doing experiments is good too just for refining your experimental skills as well. You should sign up for it.
I half-way agree with Marisa5. For sure learning to write good formal lab reports is important, but the General Chemistry course is not likely to depend on the student learning to write these. Lab reports in General Chemistry are more likely to be answering some technical questions and displaying data and computing results or determining results and may require other requested comments from the student. Some Chem courses beyond General Chemistry will require formal lab reports with abstract, introduction discussion, experimental description section including list of materials and equipment, discussion of results, data and charts and graphs, and conclusion sections.

Physics undergraduates would not ordinarily need more than one year of General Chemistry, but in any case, good writing skills and experience would come from other than Chemistry courses for them(the Phys students).

1. Should a physics major take general chemistry?

Yes, it is highly recommended for physics majors to take general chemistry. Chemistry provides a strong foundation in basic scientific principles and problem solving skills that are essential for understanding many areas of physics.

2. What topics are covered in general chemistry?

General chemistry covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry. These concepts are important for understanding the behavior of matter at a molecular level, which is relevant to many areas of physics.

3. How will taking general chemistry benefit a physics major?

General chemistry will help develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are essential for success in physics. It will also provide a strong foundation in chemistry concepts that are directly applicable to many areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and materials science.

4. Can I skip general chemistry if I already took it in high school?

It depends on the specific college or university and their requirements for a physics major. Some may accept high school chemistry credits, while others may require you to take it again in order to ensure that all students have a solid understanding of the subject.

5. What if I am not interested in chemistry?

Even if you are not particularly interested in chemistry, it is important to remember that it is a fundamental science that is closely related to physics. By taking general chemistry, you will gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and develop skills that will be valuable in your future studies and career as a physicist.