Should bowling force be calculated as momentum (mv) or kinetic energy (½mv²)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mtworkowski@o
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 13K views
mtworkowski@o said:
I don't think anyone can read. WHICH FORMULA DO I USE? I'M SICK OF ASKING. WHICH ONE A:MV B:1/2MV6^2 SAY A OR B. DON'T SAY ANYTHING ELSE. THANK YOU AND GOODBYE...
You don't "use" either formula. You're forcing us to answer an impossible question. If you want to know which is most closely related to the force the ball applies, it's 1/2mv^2. Don't get mad at us because you don't know how to ask a question right. You can't use either formula, it's dimensionally wrong. Instead divide 1/2mv^2 by d and you will get the force that it applies. End of story.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtworkowski@o said:
I don't think anyone can read. WHICH FORMULA DO I USE? I'M SICK OF ASKING. WHICH ONE A:MV B:1/2MV6^2 SAY A OR B. DON'T SAY ANYTHING ELSE. THANK YOU AND GOODBYE...

Nice attitude. I think you need to spend more time trying to help people understand your poorly presented problem rather than throw a hissy fit and insult them.
Just use B, for what it's worth. Do you even know what to do with it to try to solve your "problem"?
Also, you might want to look a little harder at a physics textbook and get a basic understanding of things next time, or at least so you can get the terminology right (you know, before you go calling other people stupid).