Should Community Service Unrelated to My Graduate Program be Included on My CV?

In summary, including your community service experience in your resume or CV may still be beneficial, but it should be placed towards the bottom in an "activities" list. It ultimately depends on how you believe it relates to the job you are applying for. If it is not directly related, it may be best to move it to the last section.
math_major_111
I have some community service experience but not very long in duration and is not related to my graduate direction (eg. I was tutoring Chinese for a semester). Should I still include it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Penemonie said:
I have some community service experience but not very long in duration and is not related to my graduate direction (eg. I was tutoring Chinese for a semester). Should I still include it?

In my opinion, yes, though I wouldn't give it a higher rank than including it in an "activities" list near the bottom or something. There are some posters here who have been on admissions committees, so maybe they can help you more.

This depends on how you believe your resume or CV relates to any job for which you apply. Would you list that activity on the CV if you are sending your CV to be an engineer or accountant for a company who manufactures products using materials imported from China?

symbolipoint said:
This depends on how you believe your resume or CV relates to any job for which you apply. Would you list that activity on the CV if you are sending your CV to be an engineer or accountant for a company who manufactures products using materials imported from China?
That makes sense. These service experiences don't really relate to the graduate programs I am studying. I will just move them to the last section as Dishsoap suggested.
Thank you.

1. What is community service?

Community service refers to voluntary work that is done by individuals or groups within a community, typically for the benefit of others or the community as a whole. This can include activities such as environmental cleanups, food drives, or volunteering at a local charity organization.

2. Why is community service important?

Community service is important because it helps to improve the lives of others and the community as a whole. It also allows individuals to give back and make a positive impact, while developing personal skills and gaining a better understanding of social issues.

3. How can community service help with my CV?

Community service can be a valuable addition to your CV as it showcases your commitment to serving others and your community. It can also demonstrate your ability to work in a team, take initiative, and develop important skills such as communication and leadership.

4. How should I include community service on my CV?

You can include community service on your CV by creating a separate section for it or incorporating it into your work experience section. Be sure to include the organization or project name, your role, and the duration of your involvement. You can also highlight any skills or accomplishments gained through your community service work.

5. Can community service experience make up for a lack of work experience on a CV?

While community service experience can be a valuable addition to a CV, it cannot completely compensate for a lack of work experience. However, it can demonstrate your commitment and dedication to making a positive impact, which can be beneficial to employers. It is important to also highlight any transferable skills gained through your community service work that may be applicable to the job you are applying for.