Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I add physics as a second major?

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    I'm currently doing mechanical engineering and doing pretty well in it. Adding physics would require me to take 18 credits a couple semesters but it's pretty doable for me. I plan to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering. Would this idea be advisable or should I simply take additional math and physics classes and what should they be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    The NE program at Ohio State was pretty self-contained, as long you understood basic concepts relating to differential equations and vector analysis (for transport theory). A nuclear physics class wouldn't hurt, though. The biggest hurdle was the thermo class which was nothing like stat mech.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If one can handle the load/work, then yes, I strongly encourage a adding the physics. Engineers should take as many physics courses as possible.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    I'm really trying to understand both the practical aspects of reactor design and the physics behind it all. What physics classes specifically would you recommend if I can not do the full major?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook