1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I add physics as a second major?

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    I'm currently doing mechanical engineering and doing pretty well in it. Adding physics would require me to take 18 credits a couple semesters but it's pretty doable for me. I plan to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering. Would this idea be advisable or should I simply take additional math and physics classes and what should they be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    The NE program at Ohio State was pretty self-contained, as long you understood basic concepts relating to differential equations and vector analysis (for transport theory). A nuclear physics class wouldn't hurt, though. The biggest hurdle was the thermo class which was nothing like stat mech.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one can handle the load/work, then yes, I strongly encourage a adding the physics. Engineers should take as many physics courses as possible.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    I'm really trying to understand both the practical aspects of reactor design and the physics behind it all. What physics classes specifically would you recommend if I can not do the full major?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook