1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I attempt to be a physicist or an engineer?

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    hi...

Okay, here's the problem.

I am interested in studying physics in school, and most of the engineering courses don't appeal to me. Sometimes I dream about being like the next Einstein or something. lol :)

But after I were to publish/research a theory in physics, I imagine that I'd get tired of research and want to design something. But what purpose could I serve as an engineer, building some new device or something, just living out my life... any thoughts?

Is there any future in being a theoretical physicist or a mathematical physicist? Is there anything I could do as an engineer to benefit humanity? :)

BTW, if I studied engineering, I might lean toward electrical engineering or computer hardware engineering maybe. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook